What is my pH?

onlywei

On 3/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, Anon said:

Looks like the meter isn't calibrated correctly. The strip and water test are showing pretty much the same range, ~8.3-8.4

Really? The color of the water test indicates below 8.0 to me. It's mostly orange, not purple.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, onlywei said:

Really? The color of the water test indicates below 8.0 to me. It's mostly orange, not purple.

It could just be my brightness/contrast, but it looks closest to 8.0 or 8.2 on my screen. You could also have the water tested by a local fish store and compare their results. I wouldn't trust the meter unless you can personally calibrate it... in my experience you can purchase multiple of the same digital meter and they'll give you different results, doesn't matter if it's TDS, ph, temp, etc.

I SHARE your frustration!  I have multiple test kits, strips, and a pH meter.  All show wildly different numbers.  And then people tell you that "pH doesn't really matter . . . as long as it's stable."   I've decided to stop losing sleep over it. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, horsewishr said:

I SHARE your frustration!  I have multiple test kits, strips, and a pH meter.  All show wildly different numbers.  And then people tell you that "pH doesn't really matter . . . as long as it's stable."   I've decided to stop losing sleep over it. 

This.  ACO strips say my water is 6.4, the api "high kit" is maddening to read because 7.4 and 8.0-8.2ish are the same color(!!!).  I've taken samples to the lab I work in and gotten other numbers.  my tap is 8.0 to 8.6 depending on the day but it has 0 hardness so once anything in the tank reacts to the -OH they add to my tap the ph crashes. 

Like horsewishr i've given up caring too much.  I throw crushed coral in my HOB so now I'm pretty sure it stays above 7.5.  Good enough.