Media sump suggests

For media, because its a big open area, I'd use something pre-bagged for easier maintenance, like the Bio-Rings from the coop. I'd try to added filter sock somehow too. For pumps, in my sump I use Ecotech Vectras because they're quiet and adjustable. 

Edited by MickS77

Nice rack system!  I'm assuming this will be a sump that is common to all of the tanks, yes?  Are you looking for the sump to largely do biological filtration, or do you want to try to get mechanical filtration out of it as well?  What are your priorities for the sump, i.e. does it need to be efficient at converting waste from high stocking or messy fish, does it need to be ultra quiet because it is in an area where noise will be an issue, etc.  It looks like you have a single drain line coming in to the sump, is that true?  Are the tanks drilled for overflow or will you need siphon boxes? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but a nice big sump and set up rack like that really gives you a chance to dial it in to be exactly what you want it to be. 

Sicce makes nice pumps!  And the Syncra 5 is a big one - probably something around 1,300gph.  But always cut the gph in half for your estimates, especially as you are going up a decent distance to the top tank.   I believe it is an A/C pump so it should be reliable, but will have that A/C pump hum. 

This should be a cool build!  I'm excited for you!

• Like 1

That looks like a great set-up!

A fluidized bed sump with K-1 media is the most efficient biological filtration. "Most efficient" meaning the most biological filtration in the least space.

Mechanical filtration is overrated. I have found that I don't really need it for clear water. Same for chemical filtration. I would have just two compartments - a fluidized bed and a compartment for the return pumps.

If you decide not to do a fluidized bed, 30 ppi foam is the best filter media. See the excellent articles on filtration at aquariumscience.org. 

Yeah, I'd go with a simple four chamber set up, with each separated by some sort of hard barrier that holds the media but allows flow between chambers. Egg crate, acrylic with holes in it, whatever.

1) In-flow

2) 20 or 30ppi foam

3) Fluidized bed with multiple air stones

4) Out-flow w/pump

Make sure you make a proper overflow for it so you don't flood your house.

This guy builds really good stuff:

I’d say whatever media you end up going with, a sump that big it’d be cheaper to bulk buy the media. A filter sock for the outflow is a must for me. I like going with a smaller micron bag so that the waste collects in it. Makes for easy “mechanical filtration” and I literally just dump it in my garden outside.

Really cool setup I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

• Like 1