New tank

BenA

Today I have received the new (tank #3) that will replace the Nano tank. The tank is a 125Ltr (~32gl.) and dimensions of 70cmX36cmX50cm (29.5"X14"X20"), so far so good. The problem is that I am not closed on the fish. I have another 2 tanks, a 400ltr (104gl) and 200ltr (52gl). The 400ltr tank is populated with large rainbow fish, 3 angles 2 Armored shrimps and corys. The 200ltr is mixed, small and medium rainbow, some tetra silver tips, rasbora, green neons, cherry and bamboo shrimps.

The initial thought was to have black water with lots of cardinals rummy nose and apistos but the Mrs. is not very happy about it, mainly because of the browny water. Obviously I can have clear water but can also have other fish and this is the question. What fish can be kept in there that will give different feel to the other two? My water is PH 8, KH 12 and GH 19. I mix them with IO water to reduce hardness.

Thanks 

On 3/1/2022 at 10:22 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I quite fancy shell dwellers as something different at the moment. 

Their behaviour should be fairly different to what you have. No experience though just my b current whim

Do you mean snails or crabs? Honestly, both are not my cup of tea. Currently I have Red Cherry, Amano, Armoured and Bamboo shrimps in 2 of the tanks. The Armoured and Bamboo hide at the back among the plants and are very difficult to see.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Streetwise said:

With the right lighting, tannin tanks can look beautiful, and be spouse-friendly.

Thanks for the encouragement. By right lightning do you mean shimmering light? I was given for a trial a light that claims to do it.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Ben

Serpa has a few blackwater tanks on his youtube channel if that gets the creative juices flowing. For his large one he has a link to an underwater light that helps create the effect of spots of sunlight peaking through. 

I love Amazon style setups they can be really beautiful with lots of organics and stained water it feels like you are peaking into a secret world. I’d highly recommend banjo cats if you go that route. They only eat insects and are so fun to see in the leaf litter, same with corydoras. Maybe try and sell her on the corydoras 🥰

On 3/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Serpa has a few blackwater tanks on his youtube channel if that gets the creative juices flowing. For his large one he has a link to an underwater light that helps create the effect of spots of sunlight peaking through. 

I love Amazon style setups they can be really beautiful with lots of organics and stained water it feels like you are peaking into a secret world. I’d highly recommend banjo cats if you go that route. They only eat insects and are so fun to see in the leaf litter, same with corydoras. Maybe try and sell her on the corydoras 🥰

Thank you.

Don't know Banjo Cats but I am sure that Google will help.

We have Adolphi, Agassisi and Sterbi about 15 all together as some died. The vsmaller size of the tank make it a bit of a challenge.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

They are the cutest ugliest things you’ll ever lay your eyes on. Most species max out at 2-4 cm! 

image.jpeg.fe94d4c3ae591c682808dc4994bcbce7.jpegpicture credit: planet catfish

I have 2, they are more than 3 years old, the smallest is about 3 inches long.  The largest is about 6 inches - at least as broad and long as a full grown bristlenose pleco.  I was told once I put them in my tank I would probably never see them again.  Truth is they appear on occasion but usually you can't find them.  They bury themselves in the gravel - which is really cool to watch if you ever get to see it.  When  you do see them, you'll think they are dead because you almost never actually see them move - they lay very still on the plants.  Super cool, but not a fish you are gong to sit and watch swim.

@BenA have you looked at Panda Garra?  They are super active interesting fish.  I highly recommend them for a fish to enjoy watching.

@Biotope Biologistthanks for the photo, there is one thing that I don't understand with fish. You say that the fish max at 4cm but @1moretanksays that his are 3" - 6". 

I bought Indian Glass Fish (Parambassis ranga). The information that I found is that they grow to 6cm, however, mine are still the same size as bought 4-5 months ago, 1cm long. Don't fish have internet connection?

@1moretank I have looked at the Panda Gara but according to the info they need 120cm long tank, mine is only 70cm.

Also, apologies for the late reply, I had problems connecting to the forum, all my attempts were rejected.

Thanks again for your time. 

On 3/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, BenA said:

@Biotope Biologistthanks for the photo, there is one thing that I don't understand with fish. You say that the fish max at 4cm but @1moretanksays that his are 3" - 6". 

I should clarify that some species of banjo catfish can easily attain >40cm but most found in the hobby stay very small and their antics are pleasant to watch.

Just make sure the LFS knows which species they are selling you!

On 3/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, BenA said:

I bought Indian Glass Fish (Parambassis ranga). The information that I found is that they grow to 6cm, however, mine are still the same size as bought 4-5 months ago, 1cm long. Don't fish have internet connection?

@1moretank I have looked at the Panda Gara but according to the info they need 120cm long tank, mine is only 70cm.

Also, apologies for the late reply, I had problems connecting to the forum, all my attempts were rejected.

Also fish don’t follow no rules, they are rebellious

🐟🛑————

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooo, after asking for your advice, deliberating, checking and reading the decision was to have a Lake Tanganyika biotope. Shell Dwellers (thank you @Flumpwessel), Tanganyika Sardines (Cyprichromis Leptosoma) and Fairy Cichlid (Lamprologus brichardi).

Thanks again to all your help.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, BenA said:

Obviously I can have clear water but can also have other fish and this is the question. What fish can be kept in there that will give different feel to the other two? My water is PH 8, KH 12 and GH 19. I mix them with IO water to reduce hardness.

The tannins initially might be pretty dark, but with any sort of a normal water change schedule I don't think it will be as bad as the Mrs. thinks.

As far as a "what could work" I would say try something high oxygen, high flow, river type of a scape. My idea when reading your post would be....

Start with some borneo loaches or hillstream loaches. They are insanely unique and fun to watch day to day. Especially with the type of tanks you keep, bamboo shrimp, coldwater corys, some mountain minnows, it would be a pretty unique tank that points you towards a lot of fish you don't generally have, but that "community" works so well when I had mine going.

@nabokovfan87 Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in replying.

I have to agree, the fish that you have mentioned are great, including the Bamboo Shrimps...have them all in my 200Ltr 😀

I have a video showing the Hillstream Loches spawning but unfortunately it won't download.

Thanks again

Ben

Edited by BenA
  • Like 1