Dropping pH

TomO

I want to keep geophagus but they like 5.5-6.5 pH. My tap water runs 7.4 in the summer to 7.8 in the winter. I guess because the ground is frozen and covered with three feet of snow the ground water get harder. How do I drop the pH?

• Like 1

Several thoughts: first off, Geos are beautiful! There are many varieties to choose from, so as long as you have a good set up with fine substrate they can sift through, you’ll have a lot to choose from.

Secondly, I suspect that water hardness is more critical than pH for their long term health. If you buy them young, and allow them to mature in your water, I honestly think they’ll do fine at you pH.

By adding wood and botanicals, you can soften your water naturally, add tannins, humic acids, etc. they will appreciate the tint

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 7:31 AM, TomO said:

I want to keep geophagus but they like 5.5-6.5 pH. My tap water runs 7.4 in the summer to 7.8 in the winter. I guess because the ground is frozen and covered with three feet of snow the ground water get harder. How do I drop the pH?

Interesting, why are you worried about 7.4 to 7.8? There is nothing wrong with that. Where did you come up with 5.5 to 6.6?? I just did a quick google and I saw 6.0 to 8.0 (just like virtually every other fish)

Even if I thought they do best at 6 I would not chase for such a low pH. It's not needed or practical. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Interesting, why are you worried about 7.4 to 7.8? There is nothing wrong with that. Where did you come up with 5.5 to 6.6?? I just did a quick google and I saw 6.0 to 8.0 (just like virtually every other fish)

Even if I thought they do best at 6 I would not chase for such a low pH. It's not needed or practical. 

^^agree^^

• Like 1