Tons of spots all over tank glass? Need help!!

Animalcrossing

I couldn’t find pictures anywhere online that looked like what I have on my tank glass! They’re super hard to scrub off so I don’t think they’re snail eggs, and they don’t move with the water. I’m not really sure what to do. I have a guppy tank with a Java moss wall and some Pygmy. The tank is heavily planted. Not sure if this is hydra or not!9CB4FE08-5A71-415C-B2D0-F51C8BFC664E.jpeg.320d2c454339c323e86ee3c6a9c09892.jpeg9CB4FE08-5A71-415C-B2D0-F51C8BFC664E.jpeg.320d2c454339c323e86ee3c6a9c09892.jpeg0A7FF52C-ABD8-45FF-B60F-2EE9516CF97F.jpeg.e6ce3b972d19aa64d4344a98ddcd02ef.jpeg

B463304A-525B-402E-8B87-A17BAAD34B8C.jpeg

If you are talking about the green spots. It is green spot algae. It happens when there is not enough phosphate in the tank. If you have one of the phosphate remover pads in your filter take it out. You can also buy phosphate to add.  
cute guppy 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you are talking about the green spots. It is green spot algae. It happens when there is not enough phosphate in the tank. If you have one of the phosphate remover pads in your filter take it out. You can also buy phosphate to add.  
cute guppy 😁

Unfortunately I’m talking about the firs on the tank 😞 I definitely will take your advice on the green spot algae’s though! I was able to pinpoint them but the little fuzz balls I’m unable to identify. 

It's the gray color of the fuzz that makes me think it is BBA. I've had it on the glass before and it slowly spreads to plants and substrate and will take over the tank.  If this is indeed BBA it can be a struggle to get rid of. Good luck.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jennifer V said:

What do you do if it's just on the glass? Do you treat the whole tank in the water column? 

You can dose the water column just be careful not to overdose as it can be harmful to your fish following instructions of the bottle  when doing a water change and the water levels lower you could use a dropper to spot treat as well

On 2/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, Colu said:

You can dose the water column just be careful not to overdose as it can be harmful to your fish following instructions of the bottle  when doing a water change and the water levels lower you could use a dropper to spot treat as well

Thank you so much for your help. I’m picking up a bottle today depending on what they have! I’ll update so you all if it worked well for me! 

BBA can come in a variety of colors, and it does look like BBA to me. I have some in my tank from some moss balls I purchased years ago. :classic_wacko: It is tough to get off the plants and decor (you have to pinch it off, or dose it with hydrogen peroxide -- which is what I did with my fake plants and decor). I imagine you could scrape it off your glass with a razor blade, but while that will physically remove it, I think it can still spread and will have already spread throughout your tank so you will still be battling it in the future. 

Honestly, I consider it part of my mature tank (I've had running about 20 years now), and I will probably always have it. It's never gotten really bad, but I always have some in the tank. Mine is dark green.

I have plans to redo that tank and add live plants. I am worried that it will take over the plants when I do though, but I don't want to start from scratch cycling the tank again, and any seeded materials from the tank potentially would still have BBA. I have seen people treat it with hydrogen peroxide, Flourish Excel, and other treatments, but you have to be careful with your tank inhabitants.

• Like 2

I get those I scratch them off with a plant care tag or credit card, if I do it when the fish are hungry the SAE's and barbs will eat it while it's floating around. 

I have quite a lot of algae I only care about the stuff on the front glass I feel the rest is a normal thing for fish to have in their lives.

• Like 1