Water change device?

Mydonkeyfish

I have been using a cheap siphon and a 5 gallon bucket to fill up and drain my tanks for about 3 years and need a change. I have seen the cool thing md fiahtanks has and was wondering if anyone else has made something like that. I have a canister filter that isnt in use if that could be useful.

Thanks! 

I’m not familiar with md fish tanks videos but here is what I use. Vivosun pump and pond tubing from Amazon. I have another for dirty water. The hook is the clip from a canister filter. The part that clips on the tank. I siphon to my garden then return pump from a plastic tote of prepped water. 

AACBDD8C-2734-44B9-9FAB-951D9F57258C.jpeg

F33DFF28-DB82-4264-8325-54CFA7F3DD5C.jpeg

721833FB-A38E-497F-90B4-8E6D264B42F1.jpeg

• Like 3

I use a generic python to drain my tanks, then this set up in a wheeled barrel to refill with dechlorinated water.  Generally I use a mix of RO and tap, per the tank’s needs.  Second pic is my super fancy barrel filling system from the kitchen sink, currently.  I hope to k<prove on the barrel filling system once I get my fish room done.  My RO unit fills an identical barrel with no wheels that is set up on an elevated shelf so I just drain it straight into my rolling barrel.

When I first got the rolling barrel, I took the time to measure an actual 5 gallons into a translucent 5 gallon jug.  Then I poured that into my barrel and scored a line inside the barrel with a scribe.  Then refilled my jug to the same level, poured into the barrel, and repeated the scored line.  So the inside of my barrel has lines scored for every 5 gallons.  This makes it easy for me to get my ratios correct for tap vs. RO water.  I also know how much dechlorinator to use each time, even if I already have a partially filled barrel from doing a couple small tanks, for instance.

1. Pic of barrel, tubing, refill “hook”, and pond pump.  [Edit to add, this pump was a large, geriatric power head that has since been replaced with a small pond pump.]

2. Pic of “fancy” barrel filling system from tap.

3. Pic of RO barrel, drain system to fill the rolling barrel, and the fancy “sight glass” made from silicone tubing and bulkhead fittings so I can tell how much water is in my RO barrel.  It does have a float valve to shut off flow once full. [Please disregard the messy, stored stuff around the RO barrel.  Pretend it’s not there.  😉]

AE65B590-082C-4CA8-AE5E-07810E3D3595.jpeg

CDD23AAE-6D75-4F6A-AB36-50CAA9D45D14.jpeg

71D27128-10EB-4045-8435-8952851CF53D.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

Some people like the python - I wish I could use but the faucets in my rental house aren’t compatible.  

I was getting tired of lifting the buckets (and watering the floor in the process LOL) so I bought this water pump. It was reasonably priced and works like a charm. 
hygger 400 GPH Quick Water Change... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXHPKZZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, BAT said:

Some people like the python - I wish I could use but the faucets in my rental house aren’t compatible.  

I’ve used this when I couldn’t adapt the python properly.  For a long time I unscrewed the spray nozzle at my kitchen sink and jammed it in there. Worked great. 

Camco (22484) Water Bandit -Connects Your Standard Water Hose to Various Water Sources - Lead Free , Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDOSKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_396Y0EPNYP59GXQG3SBP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1