need floating plants

HELLOW PLANT GROWING FRIENDS!

SO, I will need to get some floating plants the issue is i have two large hang on the back filters t5hat move a lot of water at the surface. i am going to get a large school of Odessa barbs who like lower light and a place to hide under. what can i get for floating plants that will not be a problem with the hang on the backs.

I have too much surface agitation and cannot keep floaters alive. I let elodea or hornwort foot as shade. Other options I have used with hobs are betta rings to keep the floaters corralled or o have placed the ring under the hob flow to keep floaters out. I have also made my own with airline and a connector to make a floating circle. The flow usually pushed the ring to a low flow spot. I also have lids holding to much humidity to keep true floaters alive. Using something like this under the flow would be your best bet for shade from true floaters or use hornwort or elodea floating. 

D65CE222-4CF4-4AF9-8099-FB4AD3593FBB.png

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 8:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have too much surface agitation and cannot keep floaters alive. I let elodea or hornwort foot as shade. Other options I have used with hobs are betta rings to keep the floaters corralled or o have placed the ring under the hob flow to keep floaters out. I have also made my own with airline and a connector to make a floating circle. The flow usually pushed the ring to a low flow spot. I also have lids holding to much humidity to keep true floaters alive. Using something like this under the flow would be your best bet for shade from true floaters or use hornwort or elodea floating. 

D65CE222-4CF4-4AF9-8099-FB4AD3593FBB.png

those floating rings look like they might work but as you stated you have lids on your tank as i do. do you think Jungle Vallisneria could work if i let it grow and drape over at the surface? at like one end of the tank

On 2/20/2022 at 8:21 AM, scott the fishman said:

those floating rings look like they might work but as you stated you have lids on your tank as i do. do you think Jungle Vallisneria could work if i let it grow and drape over at the surface? at like one end of the tank

i just googled hornwort i think i might go that route since i can just let it float at the surface. i can make a drift net thingy using airline tubbing and suction cups.

• Like 2

Frogbit handles my waterfalls in my tanks, and grows to cover the calmer water section. 

In fact, now that the turtle pond heater broke, and we are having a legitimate winter for the turtle, the frogbit is growing faster than Karma is eating it.

Duckweed and water lettuce do not survive in the turtle pond, frogbit seems to be doing fine.

It does consume massive amounts of nitrates, or it will turn yellow and die.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, scott the fishman said:

Ohm could i microwave it?

That's a good question!

The NFWS site says to freeze, boil or bake, and then put in a sealed bag to throw away. I know freezing doesn't always kill it, so I have been baking, and adding to my compost to keep it out of the landfill.

Boiling in the microwave might work 🤔

On 2/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, Torrey said:

That's a good question!

The NFWS site says to freeze, boil or bake, and then put in a sealed bag to throw away. I know freezing doesn't always kill it, so I have been baking, and adding to my compost to keep it out of the landfill.

thin i am going to to try jungle val

On 2/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, Torrey said:

That's a good question!

think i am going to try  Jungle Vallisneria looks bomb prof even for me😁

On 2/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Tyler Kaplan said:

Have you considered something like hydrocotyle or pennywort? You can just float it on top and the leaves should provide some nice shading, and you won't really have to worry about it with the filters. 

i just googled those and i really like the  pennywort i put 3 of those in my cart along with one jungle val. thank you 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, scott the fishman said:

Jungle Vallisneria can be very effective as a shade. Here are some photos of my 30 high with a jungle of jungle vallisneria at one end and flowing across the top. The only real issue with Jungle Val is getting it established. I bought 25 plants (eBay) and only one survived, and it sat there for six months before doing anything. As you can see from the pictures below, it's done well now. It's spread out multiple new plants and they're all growing up, across and back down the other side of the tank. (Ignore the streaks/dirt on the glass and reflections. I just zipped out to get the photos and didn't finesse it at all.)

IMG_20220221_100855139_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220221_100842674_HDR.jpg

On 2/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, gardenman said:

Jungle Vallisneria can be very effective as a shade. Here are some photos of my 30 high with a jungle of jungle vallisneria at one end and flowing across the top. The only real issue with Jungle Val is getting it established. I bought 25 plants (eBay) and only one survived, and it sat there for six months before doing anything. As you can see from the pictures below, it's done well now. It's spread out multiple new plants and they're all growing up, across and back down the other side of the tank. (Ignore the streaks/dirt on the glass and reflections. I just zipped out to get the photos and didn't finesse it at all.)

IMG_20220221_100855139_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220221_100842674_HDR.jpg

yeah that is what i am looking for. i hope i have better luck with my plants i get from coop. thank you for sharing the pics. it helped a lot