boys only!

scott the fishman

HELLO FELLOW FISH KEEPERS!

I have missed you all! I am making big changes to my 75g tank first off, my tank is doing great my plants are growing so fast i do weekly trimmings. as you see in the pic its a jungle. So the big changes are i am going to trade in my 7-rummy nose and my five-monk fish and three of my 8- rosy barbs and my large common pleco. the reason for this is my rummy nose can't compete for food and my monk fish seem to kiddish and my pleco is to big Hes uprooting my plants and i have to many rosy barbs. what i want is 10 all male Odessa barbs. does anyone know if its ok to have all males? and second i am going to thin out some plants i will be ordering a lot of midground plants from the coop. if any of you guys have Odessa barbs can you let me in on the dos and don'ts. everything i have read online says there a easy fish to keep but need very consistent water. i am worried that when i first get them they might go in shock if my water is to different from their current water. What to do about that?

IMG_20220219_183720.jpg

• Like 2

Monk fish??? I’ve got to see those…

Odessa Barbs. Hmmm. Did Greg Sage breed a line of those? You need to experience the amazing wonder of a full-bodied Master Sage response to a question. He’s very generous! I’ve never kept them personally, but my hunch is it would be Ok. Just realize that they may not all color up equally, etc.

Adjusting to your water… that depends on just how different your water is. If it’s a shock, I take time, drip / squirt from my water into another container with fish. I did this with Killis today…

F99495E2-A747-49F7-83C8-2B2911FFD323.jpeg.e038d1a11083359350990c1ff8041691.jpeg

But more often, I plop and drop if coming from a LFS.

Personally, I never majorly try to alter my water chemically with respect to pH, etc. I do add crushed coral for in a few  tanks to raise my buffer. Conversely, I add Catappa leaves, alder cones, and Rooibos tea bags for tannins.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

Monk fish??? I’ve got to see those…

Odessa Barbs. Hmmm. Did Greg Sage breed a line of those? You need to experience the amazing wonder of a full-bodied Master Sage response to a question. He’s very generous! I’ve never kept them personally, but my hunch is it would be Ok. Just realize that they may not all color up equally, etc.

Adjusting to your water… that depends on just how different your water is. If it’s a shock, I take time, drip / squirt from my water into another container with fish. I did this with Killis today…

F99495E2-A747-49F7-83C8-2B2911FFD323.jpeg.e038d1a11083359350990c1ff8041691.jpeg

But more often, I plop and drop if coming from a LFS.

Personally, I never majorly try to alter my water chemically with respect to pH, etc. I do add crushed coral for in a few  tanks to raise my buffer. Conversely, I add Catappa leaves, alder cones, and Rooibos tea bags for tannins.

ok thank you. monk fish are all so called large redeye tetra

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:29 PM, Tom H said:

10 males should be fine together. They do color up slightly better if you have females mixed in. I would test your water and the water of the supplier. If they are very different do a slow drip acclimation and you should be good

that's good info on the male female color. i will use the drip method.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

I don’t know about the barbs but this sounds like a very fun project. Looking forward to seeing progress pictures 😁

thanks, and yeah can't wait to do this project. if i do this i will have 5 species of barbs in my tank 🤩

• Like 1

Watch how Greg Sage sets up.his drip acclimations for his NANF. If in doubt about acclimation, that is absolutely the way to go.

Your tank looks like a tidy English garden compared to my spouse's 4'. She wanted a piece of nature in her bedroom, so it looks like a slow moving creek, full of aquatic plants. She's got it!!!!😅

I can't wait to follow how this project goes!

On 2/20/2022 at 9:08 AM, Torrey said:

Watch how Greg Sage sets up.his drip acclimations for his NANF. If in doubt about acclimation, that is absolutely the way to go.

Your tank looks like a tidy English garden compared to my spouse's 4'. She wanted a piece of nature in her bedroom, so it looks like a slow moving creek, full of aquatic plants. She's got it!!!!😅

I can't wait to follow how this project goes!

thank you i will watch Greg Sage sets up.his drip acclimations vid. your wife tanks sound awesome do you have a pic of it? i will definitely be posting before and after pics. it will be about 3 weeks until i can do this project.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:10 AM, scott the fishman said:

thank you i will watch Greg Sage sets up.his drip acclimations vid. your wife tanks sound awesome do you have a pic of it? i will definitely be posting before and after pics. it will be about 3 weeks until i can do this project.

Sure! Here's the top of the tank:

16453802782757729196569316727263.jpg.6d4e4b69858dcc0e688dcbf4b69aa49d.jpg

And because cell phones don't have adequate light/dark differentiation, here's the bottom of the tank:

16453802486351463846206558534919.jpg.a87c6d154229b0d0c168eee21a5bac41.jpg

Eventually I need to use editing software to create an image closer to how the human eye sees the tank.

Waterfall is back left corner, pond pump is back right corner. Currently, you can see the cord and the vinyl tubing better than the pump or the waterfall 😅

@laritheloud, I obviously can't count fish in this tank. It is very much feed the tank daily, and once a week trim out any plant showing algae or cyanobacteria growth. Add 1" of distilled water each Saturday, do a 15% water change once a month. Take water from this tank (and plants) to start new tanks.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates stay at 0, even if I dose Easy Green every day. Plants soak up the nitrates, which works for me. Lots of calcium laden pond rocks on the UGF far right, gravel in the center, sand far left.

Curved plastic craft canvas on far left houses lava rock and roots of pothos. Also a fry refugium. Waterfall is set at 80 gph, I believe that there are only 30... tops 35 gallons in the tank now (before the plant explosion, we poured in 35 gallons, and I marked the glass for 30 gallons and 35 gallons. I underestimated the plant displacement 😅) and pH is a stable 7.6. Tap ranges 7.6 to 8.2 pH.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Torrey said:

Sure! Here's the top of the tank:

16453802782757729196569316727263.jpg.6d4e4b69858dcc0e688dcbf4b69aa49d.jpg

And because cell phones don't have adequate light/dark differentiation, here's the bottom of the tank:

16453802486351463846206558534919.jpg.a87c6d154229b0d0c168eee21a5bac41.jpg

Eventually I need to use editing software to create an image closer to how the human eye sees the tank.

Waterfall is back left corner, pond pump is back right corner. Currently, you can see the cord and the vinyl tubing better than the pump or the waterfall 😅

@laritheloud, I obviously can't count fish in this tank. It is very much feed the tank daily, and once a week trim out any plant showing algae or cyanobacteria growth. Add 1" of distilled water each Saturday, do a 15% water change once a month. Take water from this tank (and plants) to start new tanks.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates stay at 0, even if I dose Easy Green every day. Plants soak up the nitrates, which works for me. Lots of calcium laden pond rocks on the UGF far right, gravel in the center, sand far left.

Curved plastic craft canvas on far left houses lava rock and roots of pothos. Also a fry refugium. Waterfall is set at 80 gph, I believe that there are only 30... tops 35 gallons in the tank now (before the plant explosion, we poured in 35 gallons, and I marked the glass for 30 gallons and 35 gallons. I underestimated the plant displacement 😅) and pH is a stable 7.6. Tap ranges 7.6 to 8.2 pH.

wow that is Dence jungle creek bed if i ever saw one great job 😆