Sterilizing sponge filter post disease

DustinJWagner

Hello everyone!

I am wondering from your personal experience, what is the best way to ensure a sponge filter is completely sterilized post disease outbreak? My 55 gallon aquarium which housed several sponge filters being seeded for other tanks just suffered a terrible disease outbreak that took out nearly all the inhabitants. I am unsure what the disease was, as there were no outward signs of illness and the deaths occurred rapidly. My best hypothesis is a fast moving strain of internal columnaris, but I am entirely unsure.

How can I ensure these sponge filters are sterilized from this disease before using them in other tanks? I’ve heard people talk about using just tap water, some using bleach, others using vinegar, and some even resorting to just tossing them away altogether to be safe. Where do you all lie on this subject? Some of these sponge filters were relatively new additions that would be very unfortunate to throw away being they are practically brand new.

thanks! :)

I'd feel safe boiling them and air drying in the sun. Sponge filters ARE cheap though. 🙃 It's just my preference but I stay away from things like bleach.

The only other method that could work (and I would consider) is a hydrogen peroxide mix/dip and rinse/dry- but I've never used this method for anything myself. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Thanks 1

Im glad you asked this. I had a betta die from columnaris a month or so ago. The Coreys that were in with him are fine. One had started the saddleback, but I reduced the temp in the tank and it went away. I want to tear this tank down, but I’m afraid to put anything that’s in there in any other tank, including the coreys. I have several plants. Jungle val, anubias, Java moss balls, marimo moss balls, and a squiggly plant that I can’t remember the name of. Is it safe to move these?

On 2/19/2022 at 9:12 PM, Marcy said:

Im glad you asked this. I had a betta die from columnaris a month or so ago. The Coreys that were in with him are fine. One had started the saddleback, but I reduced the temp in the tank and it went away. I want to tear this tank down, but I’m afraid to put anything that’s in there in any other tank, including the coreys. I have several plants. Jungle val, anubias, Java moss balls, marimo moss balls, and a squiggly plant that I can’t remember the name of. Is it safe to move these?

I wouldn't move anything Columnaris can last up to 32 days with out a host in your tank as you still have Cory's in this tank wouldn't feel comfortable adding them or your plants to a  to a new tank.you run the risk of spreading Columnaris to your other tank 

Edited by Colu

On 2/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, Colu said:

I wouldn't move anything Columnaris can last up to 32 days with out a host in your tank as you still have Cory's in this tank wouldn't feel comfortable adding them or your plants to a  to a new tank.you run the risk of spreading Columnaris to your other tank 

Thank you. 😞 stupid columnaris. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:37 PM, DustinJWagner said:

Hello everyone!

I am wondering from your personal experience, what is the best way to ensure a sponge filter is completely sterilized post disease outbreak? My 55 gallon aquarium which housed several sponge filters being seeded for other tanks just suffered a terrible disease outbreak that took out nearly all the inhabitants. I am unsure what the disease was, as there were no outward signs of illness and the deaths occurred rapidly. My best hypothesis is a fast moving strain of internal columnaris, but I am entirely unsure.

How can I ensure these sponge filters are sterilized from this disease before using them in other tanks? I’ve heard people talk about using just tap water, some using bleach, others using vinegar, and some even resorting to just tossing them away altogether to be safe. Where do you all lie on this subject? Some of these sponge filters were relatively new additions that would be very unfortunate to throw away being they are practically brand new.

thanks! 🙂

I've reached the point in life where I'm more willing to spend money to minimize work and risk than I was in the past.  With that in mind, I'd toss them and buy new ones.