Discus impulse buy! 😎

Fish Folk

On 2/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, Patrick_G said:

You have great luck getting good deals on Discus! Congratulations 😁

I know, right??!! I couldn’t really say no.

I added more air.

This is because I’m raising the temperature. Warmer water needs more dissolved oxygen.

• Like 2

Here they are coming out more, clearly settling in…

6B88B10C-6EA3-42D9-AE47-A2194104CE61.jpeg.4fcc307a1ad976063a4f6f535a1a3735.jpeg

916D0087-FABE-4C7C-A360-E8AB914B53A7.jpeg.ba37813df1223e12fc71ee22893e573e.jpeg

Rooibos tea bag tannins = good stuff! 

I want to say this: I drove through an LFS 2-hrs away yesterday, and they sold discus like these for $169.00 / each.

I got these guys for $20.00 / each.

This is how I got into discus. No way could I have sunk $400+ on three fish. No way. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:58 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

They're pretty. Why so cheap? The simple colors or?? I don't get the flux in price, quite a swing. Can't wait to see more of the Auburn one

I guess a guy came in to the store with them, and was like, “I just got these… they’re not doing well… something’s wrong with them…” and the owner either gave him store credit, or maybe paid him a little cash. Bottom line, they didn’t cost the LFS owner much. But around here, everyone is afraid of keeping them… or considers $20 too much for fish. Bear in mind that I do live in hillbilly country. People will drop $1-K for an assault rifle, but wince at $20 for a fish.

So… I just happened to pop in at the right time! We’ll see how they do. If they’ll eat well by 1-week in, and don’t get Ich from the temperature transfers, I think I’m gold.

I’ll definitely share more photos of “Auburn.” Thanks for naming it! 😜

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:59 AM, Native Keeper said:

congrats! I've never had too much interest in Discus, though my mom loves south american cichlids, so she plans to get some one day.

They’re really not as difficult to keep as others report. I don’t try to keep printing tanks. But I do change water 1x weekly.