Celestial Pearl Danios and Shrimp

dmurray407

I was bidding on an online auction last night and there were some Celestial Pearl Danios up for bid and I decided on a whim that I wanted them for my small tank with cherry shrimp. I didn't know much about them except that they are nano tank fish and should be perfect.  So, I have 5 of these guys that I'll be picking up on Saturday. This morning I've been researching them and am confused. Some sources say they will eat my cherry shrimp. Other sources say they are great tank mates for cherry shrimp. What do you all say-I have a couple of days to decide where I'm going to put these guys. I have 2 other options-my 60 gallon, where I think they will get lost (and be the smallest fish) or my granddaughter's community tank. Live and learn-research first (which, I already know, but sometimes we need a reminder....)

I have had and bred CPD and shrimp in the same tanks for a few years. If your shrimp colony is thriving they will be fine. If you are just starting your shrimp colony they will pick off babies and actively hunt them and can fit in small spaces a pile of river rocks will help they don’t like to go in dark cave hiding spots. Here are my tanks I have had them in. All 4 they have used every inch of tank. Decently planted
8.75 and 10g. Did fine occasional bickering 

20long did much better more active more social dynamic only bickered occasionally for alpha position (mine have an alpha betta and subordinate males and females only noticed behavior once in 20l)

40 breeder. AMAZING. More social dynamic only one major alpha battle. Every inch is used. 
mine hid more in the smaller tanks. Would come forward at feeding. 20 didn’t hide but did not beg at front for food. 40 stare at me like I am food 🤣. I have a bunch of videos of them and explanations of different interactions I have seen including dominance and mating displays in my journal. Feel free to look. I love them

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 10:17 AM, Guppysnail said:

mine hid more in the smaller tanks

That's what I've been reading-that more fish in a larger tank is better. I will work on getting another tank set up eventually (since my hubby passed, I never use the livingroom so I might as well turn it into a fish room-my kids will think I'm crazy...."just one more", and then the salt water tank I want to add eventually......

• Like 2