What size Aquarium Co-op Sponge Filter for 8 gallon?

FishesRFun

I didn't see gallon recommendations on the site but I ordered medium. Just received today and package says rated 20 gallons and up. Will this be too strong for my 8 gallon tank? Does bigger just mean bigger sponge? Or does it mean bigger suction too?

Edited by FishesRFun

I personally would go with a nano sponge just bc it has a smaller footprint, but you can go with a bigger one too, and technically the taller the tube the more suction you have, and the bigger the sponge the more surface area you have for beneficial bacteria and also to catch more debris, so really it depends on those factors and what you're looking for more than this specific one is for this specific tank.

• Like 2

Agreed on the nano sponge if you ever choose to change. I own all four sizes of the Co-Op sponge filters and really dislike the footprint of the size small. I plan to run nano in any tank smaller than 20 gallons in the future, the small sponge is now explicitly for if I need to transport fish in my car because I don't like how it looks in any of my tanks.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, FishesRFun said:

Okay so the gallon recommendation has nothing to do with pump strength, its just surface area?

You will most likely put the same size air pump on either. So the flow is not impacted by the size of your sponge. 

Ways you can impact the flow;

1. Length of uptake tube the longer the tube the more flow.

2. A flow valve (highly recommend. You cut your airline between the pump and where the tube enters the tank and put the valve in there. Recommend some place easy to reach)

3. Ziss Never Clog airstone. It has these small pads that release the air. You tighten the stone and get smaller bubbles. Smaller bubbles mean faster filtration. 

Edited by Mitch Norton
  • Like 1