Why are the new aqueon pro heaters so bad?

Gannon

I've had the same old blue tip style aqueon pro heaters for 6 years and have never had problems, but the new orange tipped aqueons pros have been terrible, with the 2 I've seen people buy crap out in no time at all. What happened, did they change how they are made? 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:29 PM, anewbie said:

You're not the only one to complain about the new heaters; and it isn't just aqueon. One thing I wished is that they made the old style heaters that lasted forever... 

The old style heaters were affordable, durable, and all around fantastic. Wish companies would stop cutting corners and just give us the best product possible, ill pay for it. 

It really seems like the best option for heaters these days is a cheap, adjustable heater attached to an Inkbird. Removing the temperature controller from the tank takes that failure point away and going cheap on the heater means you can just swap em as they fail. Feels so wasteful and pointless.

Bulk Reef Supply offers a setup like I mentioned, but it's pretty pricey. Their heating element alone will set you back $65 and they charge roughly double what Amazon does for the Inkbird. So far, I've had good luck with Jager's hooked up to external temperature controllers. The only failure I've experienced was caught by the Inkbird off cheapy Aqueon preset.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, Schwack said:

It really seems like the best option for heaters these days is a cheap, adjustable heater attached to an Inkbird. Removing the temperature controller from the tank takes that failure point away and going cheap on the heater means you can just swap em as they fail. Feels so wasteful and pointless.

Bulk Reef Supply offers a setup like I mentioned, but it's pretty pricey. Their heating element alone will set you back $65 and they charge roughly double what Amazon does for the Inkbird. So far, I've had good luck with Jager's hooked up to external temperature controllers. The only failure I've experienced was caught by the Inkbird off cheapy Aqueon preset.

I’ll have to get an ink bird sometime! Would those work to make even preset heaters adjustable?

On 2/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, Gannon said:

I’ll have to get an ink bird sometime! Would those work to make even preset heaters adjustable?

I had one hooked up to a pre-set heater because it was still working, but it's probably not something I'd do if I had a choice.

Basically, with the Inkbirds, you set the heater's temperature controller for higher than you actually want the tank temperature while setting the temperature controller to the temp you actually want. That way it's guaranteed to kick on whenever the Inkbird supplies it power. With the preset you have to be a bit creative about the temperature settings on the controller and be OK with some variance. Sometimes the preset heater temp controllers aren't super precise and won't kick on until things drop several degrees. Not that the fish should mind such an occurrence, but it's something to keep in mind.

Between removing the temperature controller from the water and the alarm for high/low temp, it's hard to beat the Inkbird in my opinion. I typically go with the ITC-308S. It comes with a detachable, water-proof temperature probe and high/low alarms. It isn't wifi capable, which is a bummer, but I can count the number of times I've wanted to adjust my tank temperature remotely on one hand (0).

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Schwack said:

I had one hooked up to a pre-set heater because it was still working, but it's probably not something I'd do if I had a choice.

Basically, with the Inkbirds, you set the heater's temperature controller for higher than you actually want the tank temperature while setting the temperature controller to the temp you actually want. That way it's guaranteed to kick on whenever the Inkbird supplies it power. With the preset you have to be a bit creative about the temperature settings on the controller and be OK with some variance. Sometimes the preset heater temp controllers aren't super precise and won't kick on until things drop several degrees. Not that the fish should mind such an occurrence, but it's something to keep in mind.

Between removing the temperature controller from the water and the alarm for high/low temp, it's hard to beat the Inkbird in my opinion. I typically go with the ITC-308S. It comes with a detachable, water-proof temperature probe and high/low alarms. It isn't wifi capable, which is a bummer, but I can count the number of times I've wanted to adjust my tank temperature remotely on one hand (0).

Thanks for this!

On 2/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, Schwack said:

This right here. 

I just get those preset heaters from aqueon and toss them when I need to. These inkbird controllers catch just about every problem I've had with heaters.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gannon said:

I've had the same old blue tip style aqueon pro heaters for 6 years and have never had problems, but the new orange tipped aqueons pros have been terrible, with the 2 I've seen people buy crap out in no time at all. What happened, did they change how they are made? 

I’ve had both of these my one and only old opblue tip still goes strong 2 of 6 of the new crapped out 2 months 4 months. I now buy vivosun that have the adjust button on the cord outside the tank. I’ve used inkbirds for years. I won’t run a heater without this safety. It is not if heaters go bad but when. 

• Like 2

Another vote for getting an Inkbird to give you peace of mind. I have them on all of my tanks. 

ETA: Honestly, this should be standard 'best practices' like with reptiles. Reptiles usually require a thermostat to control basking temps. Why not fish?

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Schwack said:

I got an Inkbird for Christmas and love it- except for the E5 error at 230a. But once I adjusted the continuous power time limit and got the temp in the tank up, I haven’t had any problems.