Using ground coral

Dstarr

I am starting 6 new 10 gallon tanks to try my hand at breeding a few guppies. My PH out of the tap is around 6.3 and I am told guppies really want 7.0 to 7.5. I want to run bare bottom tanks so could I place small bags of crushed coral in the bottom of each tank and effectively raise the PH safely?  TIA

Edited by Dstarr

I use crushed coral in my tanks. In my bare bottom I have an HOB so I put it inside that BUT if I had to put it somewhere else bags do work but they're not pretty eh? Also not easy to hide. So I had a similar issue with my 4.12 gallon, I had this nice black substrate but I didn't want the white coral on it and I wanted to be able to remove it but I didn't want to use a bag so I got a tiny sake cup and filled it and put it under/behind things though I have a 360 view of the tank when I see it it doesn't make me cringe. I would do a similar thing in another tank, the bigger the tank obviously the bigger the "pot" but I could hide it by gluing driftwood and rhizone plants on/around it or behind decor and it would still be easy to move. 

Resized_20220201_120048.jpg

• Like 1

@Jennifer V yep, it seems to work just fine it probaby just takes longer which is ok to me- though it's not "exposed" it's still wet and will still be effected by acid in the water. I tested that tank today, pH 7.6 (it was in the 6 range before I put coral in which is fine for the CPDs but I was trying to get some kh and gh in there for the snails and stability's sake), so the gh is 161.1 (stable for weeks) and kh tested at 4/71.6 which is about where I like my tanks to float. 

• Like 1