Fahaka puffer tank size

Peter S

Hi everyone. 
I’ve been reading tons of articles online about Fahaka puffers and as always I’m seeing lots of conflicting info on recommended tank size. 
I’m in the UK so don’t have the same standard size tanks as you have in the US but I’m looking at having a custom tank built for him. 
I have space for a 4x2x2 and I’m thinking I’ll have a sump. 
Can anyone who has experience of keeping these fish tell me if that will be a large enough tank long term?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I think that tank size is fine, but the maintenance will sky rocket once the puffer is full grown. I personally felt bad for mine in a 4’ tank. I felt less bad after moving it to a 6’x2’2’, but I can’t tell you if the puffer really cared. He still just wanted me to feed him. 

• Like 1

So I raised mine in a 4x2x2 the depth I think is really important! As that will in my opinion mean way more to it's overall happiness then the length. Bigger is always better and mine is in a 6x2.5x2 but honestly is no more active so I dont believe it was life changing for my Fahaka. But each can be different you may have to see what yours is like! Obviously the more water the easier it can be to sustain healthy water.

But in all honesty regular maintenance good feeding loads of appropriate decor and I would ALWAYS recommend a sump (not that's their isn't other ways as there is many ways to filter well) I just love sumps as I use a whole entire chamber as a "refugium" for emergent plants to help reduce my bioload! So the 4x 2 X2 I think is appropriate if you take on the right management

Photos below is my Fahaka and the "refugium" as example to what it is like.  (Pardon the bad photo can always do a clearer one 😂) It made a huge reduction in my algae and nitrate. 

16021384645061406337999806736820.jpg

20200402_153147.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoolFish97 said:

So I raised mine in a 4x2x2 the depth I think is really important! As that will in my opinion mean way more to it's overall happiness then the length. Bigger is always better and mine is in a 6x2.5x2 but honestly is no more active so I dont believe it was life changing for my Fahaka. But each can be different you may have to see what yours is like! Obviously the more water the easier it can be to sustain healthy water.

But in all honesty regular maintenance good feeding loads of appropriate decor and I would ALWAYS recommend a sump (not that's their isn't other ways as there is many ways to filter well) I just love sumps as I use a whole entire chamber as a "refugium" for emergent plants to help reduce my bioload! So the 4x 2 X2 I think is appropriate if you take on the right management

Photos below is my Fahaka and the "refugium" as example to what it is like.  (Pardon the bad photo can always do a clearer one 😂) It made a huge reduction in my algae and nitrate. 

16021384645061406337999806736820.jpg

20200402_153147.jpg

Thanks for all that info! It will be my first ever sump and my plan was to try a refugium so it’s good to hear it works well for you. Your fish looks amazing! 👍

Thank you for the compliment 😊 

If you ever are searching for advice or want to ask some questions always feel free to contact me. 

Sumps are one of my favourite filtration mainly because of the versatility! 

the refugium idea really has and I've been expanding on it and trying plants out and testing growth rates. If you want some plants I've found useful or any other questions about it let me know! 

• Thanks 1

Actually far from it haha. For the refugium I refused to use a light as dear or more expensive then my main tank light

It is just a cheap EBay hydroponic plant grow light that has 2 flexible arm heads and a timer built in. Importantly is is just the red and blue spectrum (hence the purple light) so it's definantly only good for that job. But is lasted me over 2 years and works amazingly.