Travel Filter, Buying Fish Out of Town

MickS77

I'm going out of town for the night tomorrow and plan on visiting some LFS. If they have something I can't leave without I wanted to give them a better chance to make it home.

I made these using a small bag of biomedia from an established tank. I used the Aquarium Co-op Nano USB pump, Airline, and Ziss Airstone. I ran the airline through a small terracotta pot and reattached the Airstone. The weight of pot helps keep it all down. It works pretty good like an old box filter. 

20201009_210638_1.gif

20201009_210151.jpg

• Like 5

Happy to report I was able to bring back 5 Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish and 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras using this setup. The air pumps worked great on a usb adapter in the car and a battery backup when the car was off. I used small heaters to keep them warm overnight in the hotel. 

20201011_090501.jpg

• Like 5

This is a very tempting idea since I’m going out of town on Sunday for the day... but I’d definitely get in trouble. I’ve done something vaguely like this whenever I move tho. Last year I moved around my college campus roughly 5 times, and back in March I moved across the country back home, roughly a 20ish hour drive non stop. I used a USB air pump run to a sponge filter that had been in that tank, along with pleco caves, plants, and all the sponge media from the HOBS and the other sponge filters to keep my bacterial colony alive since I didn’t have a tank setup where I was headed (it was a rushed decision to move home). Filled a 5 gallon bucket roughly halfway, drilled a hole through the top with airline tubing, and made it with 2 plecos, a betta, and 4/6 of the rummy nose tetras. 2 didn’t make it but I’ve had so so experience with that species in the past on shorter moves so I took it as a success. Oh and I had 3 pea puffers in a bag in a small critter keeper  bc the bag was a little leaky. Every gas stop I would open the lid to check and make sure the airline was still connected, which I highly recommend for long drives bc at one point it had become disconnected and I was able to reconnect it. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, MickS77 said:

Happy to report I was able to bring back 5 Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish and 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras using this setup. The air pumps worked great on a usb adapter in the car and a battery backup when the car was off. I used small heaters to keep them warm overnight in the hotel. 

20201011_090501.jpg

@MickS77 nice score!  I don't know what it is about using the USB Nano Air Pump - Bucket Combo, but it makes me feel much cooler than it should.  Like today, I get to the warehouse in the morning with my super reds for the retail store, set the bucket outside my office and plug the pump into a wall outlet, and @Robertcan swing by at his leisure and pick them up several hours later.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to some pics.

• Like 1