Quarantine tank cycling

Scott Stevenson

I've come to realize that a quarantine tank needs to be cycled just like any tank, I guess i should have just realized that, but sometimes I'm a little slow on the up take. Anyway my question is not about how to cycle a tank, but rather how do I keep a quarantine tank cycled? I'm setting up a new quarantine tank however I will not have any immediate need to use it. How do I maintain a health culture of good bacteria in a quarantine tank when I wont have any bio mass being put into said tank? Wont the bacteria just die off if it doesn't have any ammonia or nitrites to consume?

I have ghost fed tanks. Yes it works and use a very small amount of food once or twice a week. And do water changes occasionally. As long as your nitrates continue to rise it remains cycled. Bacterial blooms in an empty tank are harmless and go away on their own. In an inhabited tank add air stones. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

It's always a good idea just to keep extra media/sponges tucked away in your main tanks. That way whenever you need an instant cycle, you have a ready to go filter on hand. 

Anyways here's my QT. I break it down when not in use. The sponges for the filter are kept seeded in my 75 gal, tucked away out of sight. 

PXL_20220120_163727931.jpg.7abd25cac06630a45b7a73366d4a4094.jpg

• Like 2

I have a few of these on hand because they are inexpensive and make things pretty easy to seed a new tank. I have one running in a display tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZZ2BXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

When I set up a new breeding tank or need to QT some thing I will set up one in the new tank. I will pull one cycled sponge out of the established tank and move it to the new tank. I will replace it with one of the new sponges. They slide on and off the filter easily. 

• Like 1

I keep my quarentine tank stocked with a few endlers I didn't have a place for after separating males and females. I haven't had to quarantine anything since this started, but I assume the few small fish will keep things cycled enough. 

• Like 1

Hey Gannon thanks for the post, I had kinda thought about that also. I suppose that as long as the few little fish you kept in a QT were known to be healthy, it could be a good option. In my mind it would just be a matter of choosing a hardy, relatively "tidy" species to put in the tank.

I already feel a lot more confident about this project with all the great input I've been getting. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, Scott Stevenson said:

Hey Gannon thanks for the post, I had kinda thought about that also. I suppose that as long as the few little fish you kept in a QT were known to be healthy, it could be a good option. In my mind it would just be a matter of choosing a hardy, relatively "tidy" species to put in the tank.

I already feel a lot more confident about this project with all the great input I've been getting. 

Any hardier livebearer like endlers are a good pick for this role in my opinion. Additionally they are easy to catch if you need to get them out for any reason right before you put a fish in quarantine. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Scott Stevenson said:

For sure and yeah I suppose getting them out easily is a good thing to remember. I was kinda thinking maybe a few dwarf chain loaches, but they're kinda speedy.

Any loach is a tricky catch! I do confidently believe that the hardest fish ive ever had to catch were Denison barbs and especially archer fish. Both are smart and will do ANYTHING to escape the net.

I haven't used my quarantine tank for it's original purpose in quite some time. I have been using it for plant grow out and holding tank while I don't need it. Lately I have been dumping in some tetras that are being evicted from another tank. As soon as I can catch the rest of them I'll take them to the LFS. Come to think of it, I no longer have a quarantine tank.😄

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:43 PM, Gannon said:

Any loach is a tricky catch! I do confidently believe that the hardest fish ive ever had to catch were Denison barbs and especially archer fish. Both are smart and will do ANYTHING to escape the net.

LOL yeah and I'm not very practiced at netting fish out of a tank regardless. 😃

On 1/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, DaveO said:

I haven't used my quarantine tank for it's original purpose in quite some time. I have been using it for plant grow out and holding tank while I don't need it. Lately I have been dumping in some tetras that are being evicted from another tank. As soon as I can catch the rest of them I'll take them to the LFS. Come to think of it, I no longer have a quarantine tank.😄

Now you have a great excuse to start up a new tank in the name of quarantining. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, Scott Stevenson said:

@DaveO@David W @Guppysnail@H.K.Luterman @Gannon @xXInkedPhoenixX 

Follow up question; Thus far I have only kept cold water fish that didn't need hardness. How do prepare a QT for fish that need hardness?

Keep the water in the qt the same as you keep it and prep it in the tank. You want it to be as close parameters to the tank as possible. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1