Bug in tank

I can’t identify it but it is most likely harmless most small critters usually end up a yummy snack but provide some benefit to the ecosystem in the mean time. dragonfly nymphs and damselfly nymphs can pose issue for small snails shrimp and fish fry but are in themselves incredibly fascinating  As well as waterboatmen. Outside of those just enjoy it as a free pet. You can find many pictures of these three on google. I’m following this in hopes someone with better/younger eyes can identify. I love creepy crawlies and critters. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:51 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

I can't tell what exactly it is by the photo, but if it looks like a little round white thing and swims around looking like a drunken bumble bee, its a seed shrimp and is completely harmless. They usually show up in planted tanks and are good fish snacks. 

Thanks so much! I wish I could make the video work. I haven’t seen it swim yet, but it crawls like a spider. It’s like a spider with a round body… strange little guy. They kinda look like Ostracods to me (from what I’ve Googled so far). If that’s it, how do I get rid of those? 

Edited by J. Holmes

On 1/20/2022 at 10:55 AM, J. Holmes said:

Thanks so much! I wish I could make the video work. I haven’t seen it swim yet, but it crawls like a spider. It’s like a spider with a round body… strange little guy. They kinda look like Ostracods to me (from what I’ve Googled so far). If that’s it, how do I get rid of those? 

Your fish will eat it or if it really bothers you net it out.  Adding chemicals to eradicate is never a good idea in my experience. 

You can upload the video to YouTube and post the link here

• Like 1