What I believe to be Staghorn

Aqua junky

Ive been fighting what I believe to be Staghorn algae.  I've been spot treating with the ACC  Easy Carb everyday to every other day and I don't feel as if I'm winning.  Is it stag horn or is it something else.  Ill give a short description of my setup.

Fluval 3.0,  I use RODI remineralized using A GH/KH booster

Strict water change routine at 30 to 50% every week

Pressurized co2 probably 3bps

75g

I've I've got an FX6 running on it along with a Ziss filter. The fx6 is only on here to seed the filter it eill end up on the 120g Im setting up once room is made 

Resized952022010895162037.jpg

Resized952022010895162012.jpg

Resized952022010895162131.jpg

Resized952022010895162042.jpg

Resized952022010895162133.jpg

20220108_164120.jpg

Its funny you brought this video up cause he did this series on my tank about 6 months ago and what we did worked but this time its different. I wasnt seeing the whole leaf get covered last time and Ive already done everything we did before and its not working it seems to actually be getting worse.  I already reached out to Bentley but hes a busy fella so I thought Id get some insight on the forums 

@DaveO Ill add a pic of lighting sched and I use Thrive all in one.  heres my Water parameters below.  

Temp is 73*f

GH-18*

KH-5*

Nitrate is 5ppm

Nitrite and ammonia 0ppm

Calcium 4*

Phosphate 3* to 4* which seems high due to its almost maxed out on the scale which I will also add a pic off

Screenshot_20220108-183447_FluvalSmart.jpg

16416890607708443325743037269933.jpg

It's BBA, and you are likely low on CO2. Your PO4 is fine but you are low on NO3 too. What amount of K and Fe are you dosing? 

You are also growing slow growth plants that don't need the amount of light you are giving them.

GH boosters contain extra K, and should not be used. I would just use magnesium sulfate and calcium sulfate to set GH. If your livestock allows, drop GH to 5dGH at 2:1 Ca:Mg.

I would thoroughly read through all of this to better understand what's going on.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/choosing-co2-why 

Here is how I'm currently dosing my tank. Notice the PO4 dose.

Miller's 75 Gallon 1.4.22.PNG

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

@Mmiller2001 not sure what K or FE is?  I use FLuval stratum for a substrate I use strive at one squirt daily and probably 3bps on my co2 with 30 to 50% water changes. I dont add anything else.I use RODI water for all my tanks and remineralize with a gh kh booster too a tds of close to 200.  I live in the country and our well water is ran into the house and directly into the water softener so i'm not sure whats in it and just decided to use RODI for all my tanks.  

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, Aqua junky said:

@Mmiller2001 not sure what K or FE is?  I use FLuval stratum for a substrate I use strive at one squirt daily and probably 3bps on my co2 with 30 to 50% water changes. I dont add anything else.I use RODI water for all my tanks and remineralize with a gh kh booster too a tds of close to 200.  I live in the country and our well water is ran into the house and directly into the water softener so i'm not sure whats in it and just decided to use RODI for all my tanks.  

K-Potassium 

Fe-Iron

@Mmiller2001 I'd have to look what's in the All in one thrive I use.  I wasn't having the results I wanted from Easy green so I switched too thrive even then I found out it wasn't the ferts that was causing me issues it was my dosing routine and lighting schedule.  I had this issue once before and once I changed my lighting routine and co2 it died off on its own pretty much,   I"m really very novice when it comes to a planted tank. I've only been keeping plants in a tank for the last year or so and for the most part have been fairly successful besides the occasional outbreak like so.  Its very challenging for sure atleast to me.