Corydoras Growth Rate?

CalmedByFish

I'm not sure about adult size - I'm still learning about the cories; however, I have several peppered cories and just love them.  When I got them in November, they were about an inch long.  They're about an inch and a half now, but I haven't seen any indication of breeding activity.  Okay, I'm not sure I'd recognize it if I saw it.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I recently bought Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Cories.) They're only an inch long. I'm finding mixed answers about their growth rate and breeding age.

How old were your cories when they got to adult size? 

Female peppered cories will grow to 2.5 inches (maybe a little longer) and males just over 2 inches long at full size I think. Mine spawned in late October last year and the babies are still not yet full size (they are almost there!), but by the looks of it they are mature and ready to breed.

This is what they should look like when full size, so it does take them a while to grow! (female left, male right)

Parents.jpg.9c00c10169b81eb23cb528bd5840cd32.jpg

Just over a month old:

298043665_Justoveramonth.jpg.61a37abcbeb995f5efa5ab8ff6814ba7.jpg

Over two months:

1752178167_Twomonths.jpg.3956bb26550e8f6dc10b8c743d032a12.jpg

In comparison to its mother in the behind the plant:

206459930_Overtwomonths.jpg.9a729196841e46f541b1670772648a5d.jpg

Just under a year old (female):

DSC_9563.JPG.2b2ab11df910d930f646e5e938464949.JPG

So I'd say over a year to reach full size, and probably around 8 months as @Fish Folk said to be ready to breed.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Fish Folk That was way cool. Thank you. Key take-aways I caught: My little cories might benefit from a small piece of a catappa leaf (I can add it tomorrow), and they need to be more than a year old to breed. Correct me if I'm wrong or you think I missed something. I suppose I need to be more concerned about their current health than their future growth! 

@lindabee53 So yours have grown roughly 1/4 inch per 4 weeks, right? (I saw someone else online say that, but I also saw someone say 1/4 inch took 3 months.)

Both of you: The main thing I need to pay attention to, regarding growth, is that they not look thin? And I suppose it's okay that they gathered at the surface tonight, bobbing quickly up and down, as if kissing the surface of the water? I've seen them do that in pet stores, but I don't know what they're doing.

@CorydorasEthanThat's helpful! Thank you! So I suppose my new 1" peppered cories are roughly 5 months old? (By the way, I wrote the above before seeing your comment.)

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1

@CalmedByFishI have two words for your Peppered Corydoras: (1) BLACK (2) WORMS

As Daniel once said, "My Grandmother would be able to bear children again if she ate Black Worms!" They truly are the most amazing super food. One video describes how I care for mine when I order them, and then two videos of what feeding time looks like:

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:24 AM, CalmedByFish said:

@lindabee53 So yours have grown roughly 1/4 inch per 4 weeks, right? (I saw someone else online say that, but I also saw someone say 1/4 inch took 3 months.)

Both of you: The main thing I need to pay attention to, regarding growth, is that they not look thin? And I suppose it's okay that they gathered at the surface tonight, bobbing quickly up and down, as if kissing the surface of the water? I've seen them do that in pet stores, but I don't know what they're doing.

The growth rate sounds about right for my little fishkin.  And no one is ever going to accuse mine of being thin - they're chunkly little things, but very active.  And they often go to the surface, especially if my betta is up there.  They sometimes follow him up and do that "kissing" thing, but I think they're actually taking in air.

They did take a little while to settle in, but once they did. . . they own the bottom of the tank.

• Like 1