Death in Vermont

ed gibbs

My system background is 30-gallon planted tank, Fluval blue tooth light, Fluval 307 filter, heater, CO2 tank, and air stone.  Fish are 12 glowlight tetras, 8 neon tetras, one male beta, and I had 6 orange shrimp and 6 red shrimp.  I am now down to 4 shrimp total.  I tested my water with the API freshwater test kit and my results are as follows:  Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 0 ppm, and my problem pH 6.5.  I use API's liquid pH Up with not much success.  So why are all of my shrimp dying?  All of the rest of the fish are fine.  The rocks as pictured below, are from the Vermont mountains near the Connecticut River.  My suspicion is that the mineral content of the rocks is keeping my pH low.  Any advise and explanation would be extremely appreciated.  Sincerely, Ed Gibbs

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

Hi. Neocaridina are tough to get started in tanks. They are hypersensitive. With your ph so lo I would add crushed coral. They need calcium they are mega touchy to quick swings in ph so the up may be hurting more than helping but I have never used it so cannot speak from experience. The babies adjust to your water and are hardier but getting to the baby stage I often challenging. 

Those stones are GORGEOUS! It's a shame the Neocaridina aren't doing too well for you.

Crushed coral could be added to the filter instead into the substrate - in case the white chunky gravel-sized rocks won't match your aquascape.

If the tank is new, it may need more time to develop biofilm and algae. I have read that adding products like BacterAE can help.

If the shrimp lack hiding spots for molting/breeding, you could potentially hide one of those shrimp caves or tube things in the back...? I haven't used them but I thought about getting the cave from the Coop on my last order and then putting a bit of moss or Süsswassertang inside for adding 

Hope that helps! 

To answer your question about your rocks, minerals in the rocks would elevate pH, if it does anything. Majority of rock is inactive. 

Cherry shrimp, as Guppysnail says, are very sensitive to water parameter fluctuations, and need established biofilm to survive, as well as established beneficial bacteria colonies. Most neo breeders recommend waiting until a tank is growing a little algae before adding shrimp, or waiting at least 6 months for the biofilm to be well established. 

I would invest in wondershell from the Co-op, so the shrimp can eat as much calcium and minerals as they need.