water volume...

BuzzDaddy21

@BuzzDaddy21; One gallon of water is 231 cubic inches. Before you add the first drop of water, take the inside measurements, multiply L x W x H and divide by 231, this will give you the exact number of gallons. By height, I measure from the bottom to the bottom of the lip my glass hood is going to sit on.

@HH Morant; Sorry, I entered this before I read other posts.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Measure from the top of the substrate with the current move towards deeper substrates for planting this can be quite important to check especially for calculating volume for meds.  

Equally measure only to where you will keep the waterline. 

I knock about 30litres off my aquariums max volume to account for the decoration. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I knock about 30litres off my aquariums max volume to account for the decoration. 

Big tank?? 

I would think rocks and wood would displace the most water, I never thought about how much.

I can`t keep guppy grass alive but I would guess it would take lots of plants to match rocks or wood in volume??

The water flow meter would be interesting.  

On 1/5/2022 at 8:55 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Big tank??

Fairly big 230litres which is about 60 US gallons  I think.

I use quite a thin substrate layer one large log and some smaller hollow caves and structures. I don't really worry about the plants. 

If you are using stone you can get their volume by measuring the displacement of you want to be super actuate (or work it out for smaller one and estimate).

I think it's important to have a good idea of the real water volume in particular for treating with meds and salt but for fish I think common sense about how much space they need is generally adequate and if we overstock we just have to get the buckets out more often.

• Like 1