Guppy Problem

StockEwe49

Hi all, I recently had noticed a couple guppies with white stringy poop. Then yesterday I had a female death. It seems like this maybe happening every so often. Is this a sign of internal parasites? Or if not what would you think this would be?

Also could this just be caused by overfeeding? I feed them twice a day using Extreme Nano Pellets.

• Administrators

I highly doubt that it's from feeding (although it is important to keep that in check for water parameters). Have you ever treated the fish for parasites? How new are they to your tank? Anything new introduced in the past couple of months or so?

I would recommend treating with Fritz ParaCleanse. If you don't see an improvement in a few weeks, you can try Fritz Expel-P

Ok I am back to follow up I finished a round of Para Cleanse a couple days ago. Today I discovered another dead guppy and noticed another guppy still has white stringy poop. In Corey's most recent video I heard him talking about how Expel P targets a different parasite than Para Cleanse does, so is it possible I need to use Expel P now? 

Or could they just be getting over it still? I am open to ideas on what I need to do. Thanks!

Hi again everyone, I just did the Expel P treatment yesterday and have noticed one female guppy has been looking very bloated and has white stringy poop. She has been hiding in my floating pearl weed, I assume to get rest. Below is a picture of her, because I have noticed red dots appearing on her scales.

Edit: I added another picture showing near her anal fin it is swollen

Any ideas on what this could be? And would Expel P be a treatment for this or no?

sickguppy.jpg

sickguppy2.jpg

Edited by StockEwe49
Another Picture

Sadly, she looks to have dropsy from that picture, as the scales look to be pineconing. Successful treatment/cure of dropsy is quite rare, as it is a symptom, rather than a disease.

I have had it on 2 fish at different times, and literally felt like I tried everything recommended, such as Kanaplex and Epsom salt baths.

If the fish is still eating, there may be some hope. You can try Kanaplex in the food. I have also heard that you can add epsom salt to the food, when you let the food soak in a Kanaplex/Focus mixture. Good luck...it's a real tough one to beat, sadly.

Does look like Dropsy the most effective treatment I have found kanaplex in food as Dropsy can be caused by polycystic kidney disease or a bacterial infection  and the active ingredient in kanaplex kanamycin sulfate that a good antibiotic for treating kidney disease metroplex treats aeromonas bacteria that can cause Dropsy to treat the water column and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons the salt Will help reduce the fluid buildup the red dots could be caused by hemorrhaging under the scales

Edited by Colu

That may be a lot of Epsom salt. Recommendations vary, but I would start on the easier side. I have no idea how big your bucket is, but I'd start with a teaspoon. Do your best not to stress the fish, and keep the bath to no more than 15 minutes. Make sure to observe throughout.

Sadly, she passed away last night. Thank you all for the help during this. I am interested in finding out what the stressors are that have been causing it and I have two suspects:

1. There are a lot of boy guppies now in the tank since they are reaching maturity
2. There is a yoyo loach in the tank that will chase the guppies around

I feel like it can't be number 1 given this is a 55 gallon tank but does anyone have any common ideas for stressors?
I water change every week and the tank is planted enough for lots of hiding places.

I'm sorry to hear. I really can't speak to the stressors. Provided the water parameters have always been okay (with no rapid changes), it really is hard to say. Dropsy is a tough one.

I'm sorry again, but it is important to know that you did your best to provide the best care you could've.

• Thanks 1