Outdoor aquarium?

Gideyon

Through the magic of YouTube algorithms, I discovered a few videos of people building outdoor aquariums.  I found this rather fascinating.  It was mostly concrete with at least one glass panel. 

Judging by the surrounding vegetation, these people lived in tropical climates. They likely didn't have to worry about freezing conditions.

But I was curious.... 

Has anyone tried keeping a glass or partially glass aquarium outdoors in areas that have freezing winters?

Kind of like an above-ground pond with a view from the side.   

I don't think I'd ever be able to build such a thing - at least where I live now.  But I really like the idea for goldfish.  I just don't know what would happen to the glass if part of the water freezes.   And maybe even more of the water would freeze because of the glass which wouldn't be good for the fish.  My memory is they would be fine if the top of the pond freezes.  

Can someone kindly squash my dreams before I try to make it a reality one day? 

These have been around in the UK for awhile, I've been tempted by them but aside from seeing them running in various garden centres for years can't really comment on them. They are made by a company called blagdon. They are considered to be UK winter proof and be the windows are made from pvc according to their website

Screenshot_2021-12-26-15-29-51-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

A ridiculously thick piece of acrylic would be much safer than glass. If it is ridiculously thick, it won't break, and it'll be a far better insulator than glass. It should also hold up well in sunlight. (It scratches easier than glass, but that can be buffed out. And scratches are much preferable to breaks.)

• Like 1

I'm no expert in acrylic, but here's the info I've got.

I have a child with special needs that involve fierce head-butting. To keep fish long term, I needed a custom-made tank that would be impossible for an adult to intentionally break.

It's only 29 gallons, but is 1" thick acrylic. If I remember right, ACO's 800 gallon is also about 1" thick. 

If I were doing a project like the one you're considering, I think I'd find out what thickness would be good for avoiding a break, what thickness would be good for insulation, and then get something thicker than both - just for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Good input..  I appreciate it from everyone. 

I really enjoy the idea if a pond (never had one) but I really like the side view as well.  That's why this possibility fascinates me. 

But I also don't want to worry about bringing fish inside during winter. 

If this dream ever has a chance to come to fruition, I'll obviously post on it. 

• Like 1