Do you think my tank can handle more chili rasboras?

Karen B.

Greetings!

I have a 20 gallons high, planted, temp 75-76 f, with 1 HOB filter (aqueon quietflow 30 with pre-sponge filter and medias + a coop air sponge filter, medium I think). I do 1 WC/gravel vacuum per week of about 25%. 8 hours of light (still battling BB algae tho).

Current population is 1 m, 2 f honey gourami, 6 chili rasboras and an unknown number of false julii corydoras (they breed like rabbits!!). I do try to keep about 6-8 adults, and I remove the babies around 2-4 months to sell (I might also try to set up a 5 gallons grow up tank but my success rate at rasing fry vs letting nature do its thing isn’t the best). I am not doing anything to breed them (it’s not a goal or anything). I also have 3 of the lazyest nerita snail and a couple of pest snails.

My school of rasboras used to be around 12 but over the past year, I lost a few. Since becoming 6, they are fighting, some are constantly hiding, so I want to grow back their rank. My question is : how many can my tank handle?

I initially bought 10, knowing some might die in quarantine. Now quarantine is over and I have 6 left, which would bring the school back to 12.

I currently have a 10 gallons dedicated to quarantine until I make up my mind about the rasboras. After that, I will move my betta into it. So should I aim for 16-18 rasboras, knowing some might die or that would be pushing the limit of the tank?

My pH is a bit low (6.6), my kh is around 0 (working on raising it slowly with Seachem alkaline), my gh is about 12. 0/0/20

The male gourami/adult cory and rasboras have been together for over 6 months. I introduced the 2 females gourami 2 weeks ago.

Looking forward to your opinions! Sadly the suggestion of getting a bigger tank is not possible (😭😭😭)

3D68D14A-2F52-4B15-AF41-6FCDDB3AB83B.jpeg

They are so small and your parameters and filtration seem enough to be able to handle 18 total pretty easily IMO. I have 9 CPDs in a 4 gallon tank and they are doing awesome and tank parameters are ideal. They're similar in size to your Chilis (I'd be tempted to have 20 in your 20). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I have 120 cardinal tetras, 50 chili rasboras, and a giant betta in a 45 gallon high tank and I could easily add 100 more chilis.

A 20 gallon could easily handle 150 chili rasboras. I would keep adding groups of like 20 at a time.

Edited by 2000tetras
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, 2000tetras said:

I have 120 cardinal tetras, 50 chili rasboras, and a giant betta in a 45 gallon high tank and I could easily add 100 more chilis.

A 20 gallon could easily handle 150 chili rasboras. I would keep adding groups of like 20 at a time.

Thank you for the answer! It wouldn’t get over crowded with the 3 honey gourami and the cory? That’s my main fear… 

No

On 12/27/2021 at 5:14 AM, Karen B. said:

Thank you for the answer! It wouldn’t get over crowded with the 3 honey gourami and the cory? That’s my main fear… 

No, Chili Rasboras are smaller than cherry shrimp. Your honey gouramis will not mind the tiny dither fish and your tank will look much fuller with chilis sprinkled everywhere. 

Imo you could easily have in the 20-30 range. I am currently introducing them to a 10g. Have 12 but will be increasing that to 20. They have a very low bio load even when fully grown, will also be adding shrimp. They should be fine in a low ph, mine on the 10g is between 5.5-6.5 depending on the time of day. 

I agree they have a negligible bioload in a planted tank with adequate lighting and water changes. More important is to have lots of plant cover and hiding places. My chilis like to hunt around in the bottom leaf litter I highly recommend adding leaf litter the fish will feel more at home.