“The Fishkeeper” water treatment?

DarthRevan

So my betta has pretty serious fin rot, after being beat up by platies. He’s in his own fluval flex now, but he still is losing his fins. 

I made another post and it was recommended with how severe it is that I use Kanaplex. When I was at my LFS to get it, I also explained the situation, he initially had recommended this product called “The Fishkeeper,” I’ve never heard of it and to me it seems like it’s just bottled botanical water. Is this person selling me a useless product or is this helpful in the healing process after I’ve treated Kanaplex? I still got the Kanaplex too so I can make sure I treat any bacterial infections. 

927495B3-9A8B-4BB1-B4AC-413DE0719E35.jpeg.de39b445e4858ee9d9889023758aac2f.jpeg079925B9-4AF6-48AB-885A-F114D3FF7F23.jpeg.b3ca3ba385bfc241ccafd7557300eb91.jpeg04096C3A-2EFF-41FD-812E-096EC9DA313E.jpeg.61b10796d6be603befb26c9643a707c7.jpeg

I do not personally have experience with this however I do not trust anything that does not list the actual ingredients. The active ingredients on the bottle are intentionally vague. Indian almond leaves did wonders for my nieces betta fins that were not having rot but were not great looking. 

• Like 4

I'm not a fan myself of companies that refuse to tell me their ingredients and just say "proprietary blend". Likelyhood is it could be Indian Almond Leaf "tea" with who knows what else. AKA Catappa leaves are good for Bettas and other fish and have anti-bacterial properties. You could make this "tea" yourself or just drop a leaf in and let it work its own magic. 

• Like 1

The fact that it clams to treat viral and treat internal disease and it a herbal treatment in my experience it will have  mild antiseptic property at best  ok to treat minor cuts and scrapes nothing more

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

I'm with @Guppysnail on this one.

Especially when working with fish that have a labyrinth organ, it's important to know *exactly* what the ingredients are. 

For bettas, I have traditionally used aquarium salt combined with really high tannins because there hasn't been much peer-reviewed research on other treatments for fish with a labyrinth organ. 

Majority of testing for disease treatment has been done on food fish and Zebra Danios. 

• Like 2

I can't say if it actually does anything, but I have used it. 

It was highly recommended by an ichthyologist who works at an LFS nearby.  They seem to like it so much; they treat all 80 of their tanks with it and told me it reduced mortality at their store.

I used 1 bottle, and I can't say if it did anything or not. But 1 bottle was hardly a good test. At least not in the long term.

I know that's not of much help, but I do know it's something some professionals think very highly of. As @Guppysnail said, it bothers me too that no ingredients are listed! 

• Like 1

Well it seems like everyone else is thinking what I was lol. After looking it up online, it’s still pretty vague to what it actually is. But @dasaltemelosguyif you’ve used it and didn’t have any problems, and it was recommended by an ichthyologist, I might as well use it all up since I can’t return it now 😂 Definitely not buying this again though. 

Thanks for your help everyone!!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:48 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@DarthRevan honestly it could be great stuff, but I have that as a rule for myself AND my animals. 🙂 It's just a preference. 

I’m not super hopeful since it doesn’t seem to do much lol, I’m hoping if it is just bottled catappa tea it’ll help my lil guy’s fins grow back easier 

• Like 1