Val vs Jungle Val

DannyC

I am curious about the height differences in these. In the Co-op shop there is val and then there is jungle val. what is the difference in the two? I'm going to guess jungle val gets taller, but I do not know for certain. I have a 30 gallon long tank which I am cycling currently and am trying to plan my next scape and I have never done val before and like the idea of the draping grass in the water look it gives, but I dont want to get jungle val if regular val will give me the same look since the tank is only 13 in. tall.

In my experience both get to the same height and can grow well over 8 feet if allowed; the primary difference is width of the leaves; with italia val around 1/3 of an inch and jungle val a bit over an inch; there are actually a lot of similar different species so the exact width depend on the exact species. This is my tank with jungle val (left side):

120_march_27_2021.jpg.1daf09bbdad509412ef8842beae3eb12.jpg

This is my tank with italia val:

29w_new.jpg.399c96c543bfb7be564c7bfc1c75b60e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I got one bunch of jungle val from the lfs. When I got it home I noticed it was two plants so I separated 'em and planted 'em asymmetrically. I gave each one root tab.

The one on the left sent off a runner and sprouted a new plant which, in turn, has sent off a runner and sprouted another new plant. I'm not going to buy any more of that stuff 'cause it's just growing like craaaaaazy. Maybe my reduced photo-period will mellow it out a little.

The one on the right is beside a dense patch of rotalia and cabomba. I haven't noticed any runners there yet but I'm expecting it now.

Edited by isaly