New Tank: Can I start cycling new tank without my plants/aqua soil.

grimms

Hello,

I am going to cycle a new 10 gallon tank soon, but I don't have any plants yet. I bought a bag of CaribSea Eco-Complete, but I think I need another 10lb bag (I only bought one 10lb bag). Can I start cycling my tank now? Or wait until I have all the aquasoil, and plants?

Can I start cycling without any substrate?

In GirlTalksFish video: 5 Things I Wish I Knew About Substrates for Planted Aquariums, she says using bigger gravel substrate is better for plants to grow roots in.

Do I need stone gravel underneath Eco-Complete aqua soil? Or is the CaribSea Eco-Complete the only substrate I'll need?

Edited by grimms
More questions

I don’t have any experience with eco-complete, but generally speaking you can start cycling plants or even substrate.  But adding substrate with water in the tank might be a trick.  

that said why would you want to rush things?  Once you get the tank started it’s a lot harder, and more messy to dry fit any hardscape.  Plus having water in the tank while planting can be a pain.  If you wait, you can enjoy fantasizing through setting your tank up, think through everything you want to try……