How Do I Clean A Planted Tank?

Emily Z

Hey! So for those who know, about 2 weeks ago I got a bunch of plants to fill up the empty space in my tank. The problem is that algae blossomed EVERYWHERE in my tank. Green and brown algae on the glass along with green spot algae, and blue-green algae coating the substrate and covering the tips of my plants. I'm able to clean the algae off the glass, but I have no idea how to clean the algae off the substrate. I do have a sand vacuum, but it's quite big for a ten gallon and doesn't fit well between gaps in the rocks and plants. I don't have anything stocked in the tank except for a betta fish, but I don't think the quality of my tank is good enough to introduce shrimp or other cleaning fish/inverts. For example, the GH is way too high and I've been struggling to get it down, and there aren't enough hiding places for tiny animals like shrimp in case my betta gets aggressive. Any tips to how I can effectively clean the algae and muck without a cleaning crew or ripping up my scape?

Edited by Emily Z

Hi @Emily Z honestly I don't see why you couldn't add a Nerite snail. Some sources say they like a tank to have 12-18 gH. What is yours at? I've found Nerite snails to be the BEST part of any clean up crew. Bonus: they're probably not going to be picked on by the Betta, their foot doesn't really show as they move around so they're pretty well armoured- their antenae are tiny and the Betta may not even notice them. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.

@xXInkedPhoenixXLast time I checked (about a week ago, I'm gonna check it again now) my gH was around 13. I want to try and lower it to 11 so it could be suitable for cherry shrimp and my betta (because bettas like soft water, but even though the gH has been so high he seems to be fine).

After gH Test: Okay, nevermind, the gH has lowered to 8 with the test I just took. So, I'm pretty sure that's actually perfectly fine for cherry shrimp and other types of shrimp. I heard that nerites prefer a higher gH, kH, and a more alkaline pH. Would a 7.5 pH with an a gH of 8dkh and kH of 5dkh be fine for a nerite snail?