I need help with my cories

SarahO

Last week, it appeared that one of my cory catfish developed swim bladder disease. He died within 2 days of showing symptoms. That was 4 days ago, and today I noticed another cory acting the exact same way. I’ve had these corys for nearly a year. Does anyone know what is happening? I do weekly water changes and my water parameters seem fine (ammonia and nitrites 0). I’m getting the water tested at a fish store tomorrow just in case something is wrong with my test kit. My tank is heavily planted and heated. Although I have been concerned that my tank might be getting too cold at night. I’m really upset about this and I don’t know what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

@Coluthe first was a juli, the second is a panda. My tank is usually at 80°, but it’s been about 77° the last few weeks. I feed shrimp pellets mostly, and sometimes bug bites and blood worms. I haven’t added anything to the tank recently. The only recent thing that was “special” was feeding frozen blood worms. 

It could be swim bladder or bacterial infection of the swim usually I would recommend epsom salts bath as Epsom acts as a muscle relaxants  for swim bladder as Cory's are sensitive to salt you could fast as over eating can put pressure on the swim bladder or constipation for a couple of days and see how it goes or you could do a course of kanaplex in food you try add something like hikari sinking wafers for bottom feeders  or repsashy community plus for a more variety in there diet 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

As your other fish has died I would do a course of kanaplex in food for the remaining fish to be on the safe just in case its bacterial on a side note with blood worms they are very high in protein if your feeding more than twice a week they can cause constipation  @SarahO

Edited by Colu

77 shouldn't effect their metabolism

On 12/8/2021 at 7:28 PM, SarahO said:

@Colu I’m wondering if it’s a combination of bloodworms and cooler water. The cooler water slowing their metabolism, and the bloodworms having too much protein. 

77 F shouldn't affect their metabolism it would have to have gotten a lot colder also you mentioned feeding them shrimp pellets as well they are very high in protein Cory's are more of an omnivore so hikari sinking waters catfish pellets repashy some frozen food once or twice a week is the ideal diet

Edited by Colu