Tank design

OnlyGenusCaps

So, I just finished watching Zenzo's recent vid (I didn't tag him, because I promised him I'd stop needlessly tagging him on the forum) on tank design as it relates to display.  It really struck a chord with me.  That might be because I can't get excited about a tank until I have suffered over what I call the "theme", but probably is just the design of the tank.  Even on my rack that no one sees, I want to design a tank that is both aesthetically pleasing (to me) and serves the needs of the inhabitants.  Zenzo pointed out that he most liked his mudskipper/bumblebee goby tank.  I think what he said next is what really got me, he mentioned it was because he had a vision for the tank, planned it out, and then made the vision happen.  He sees the process and not just the result.  I loved that!  I take such great pains to figure out what the theme of the tank will be before doing it, and as he mentioned, I get a kick out of people's reactions.

I've seen some really great tanks here with wildly different concepts be beautifully put together, from @Streetwise's natural scapes, to @Atitagain's "Hulk's Escape" tank.  I'm curious, what is the concept of the tank you are most proud of?  And what is the best reaction you've gotten from someone about the tank?  Photos welcome!

I'll volunteer first:

My best concept: Right now that's my "pseudo-saltwater tank.  I love FOWLR tanks on the salty side, but I don't want to go to the trouble of dealing with an actual SW setup.  So this idea came to me when I decided to finally embrace my very hard water.

The best comment: That was from one of my wife's post-docs who came in and immediately said, "That's such a nice saltwater tank!  I could never do the work for one."  I felt like screaming "it worked!"  That was a really proud moment for me in aquarium display design.

• Like 5

Happiness for me is the latest iteration of The Sad Bowl. I saw a bowl like mine on Rachel O’Leary’s YT channel and so I just stole as much as I could from the video and then made it mine. Each side brings something different. Waking to it is magic for me and my wife. 
8F4FB7E5-AA49-4B64-97F4-A6A377B73642.jpeg.3a5add4560c6c220c3cee8313159aa05.jpeg
2nd place is my Opae ula setup for my wife. I have some macro algae and moss balls in there plus a dried fan coral and it’s just a lot of fun. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

To answer you as to what is my best concept tank, it would most certainly be the for mentioned “Hulks Escape” tank. That took a considerable amount of planning from overall theme, lighting, materials, how to make the blocks appear to be flying and creating movement, using the submarine to create the chase, and so much more. It’s not even close to the style of aquascape theming I normally do but that is why I did it.

The best response I’ve received was from my grandson. When he saw it he said “I gotta get mine!!!” And took off to retrieve his spider man and iron man action figures. He sat in front of the tank and played, anytime he goes in my fishroom now he has to take spidy with him.78EAF49E-3329-425A-A36A-DE33EEF4FEF0.jpeg.ac52c625803e7fef1b66dd7c528bb870.jpeg

1AB03D93-BDED-448B-8CC0-F4FC6AF3A94C.jpeg.4087e28ff4de860a2d942c6a70a4649e.jpeg

As for my taste my favorite tank would be my 125G blackwater tank. Not an exact biotope but creating a river environment that absolutely resembles nature 😁.A21102FE-F881-41EE-BF37-1A33DD775E47.jpeg.f62929bd1fd1bdc4576d199753e5ddfa.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks for the responses @Atitagain & @Beardedbillygoat1975!  And for humoring me with this.  😛

On 12/7/2021 at 1:37 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

2nd place is my Opae ula setup

I've always liked opae ula!  Something about their thriftiness that I really like.  If I was going to do something with brackish, that would be the place I'd start.  And your setup is pretty well ideal in my view.  It looks really good! 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:00 AM, Atitagain said:

To answer you as to what is my best concept tank, it would most certainly be the for mentioned “Hulks Escape” tank. That took a considerable amount of planning from overall theme, lighting, materials, how to make the blocks appear to be flying and creating movement, using the submarine to create the chase, and so much more. It’s not even close to the style of aquascape theming I normally do but that is why I did it.

I mentioned it for a reason - whether it is anyone's favorite style or not, I think everyone can appreciate the planning and execution on that theme.  And that's the sort of thing I took from the vid, this idea of satisfaction in accomplishing the design you set out to create.  I certainly feel much more connected to a tank when I have planned a theme and it comes together well.  It's actually the thing I am struggling with now.  I need to set up a planted tank this spring (once I can get plants easily again), but for me "planted tank" is not a cohesive enough of a theme.  So, I can't get a vision in my head about it.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:00 AM, Atitagain said:

As for my taste my favorite tank would be my 125G blackwater tank. Not an exact biotope but creating a river environment that absolutely resembles nature

That's a really nicely done, and very well balanced tank, visually.  When I see stuff like that it almost makes we wish I could do a blackwater tank.  But then, I've grown to love my hard water menagerie of fishy options.  I became much happier in this hobby when I learned to love the water I have,  Still, it's nice to see well put together things I can never have, like your tank there.

• Thanks 2

@OnlyGenusCapsthe opae ula are a joy. I keep thinking about getting them a bigger home or just getting more of them as they are so much fun. I think everyone should get them and enjoy them. They are a good entry point for brackish with working through the mixing of the salt. The beauty of it is once the water is in and spec grav is there you really only have to top off and no real water changes after the first couple months as the stability of the system and the lack of waste are really key parts of their keeping. 

@AtitagainI love that 125. It makes me smile when I see it. The journey was definitely the reward but so too is that wonderful scape!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@Atitagain That biohazard sticker in the middle of the tank is *chef's kiss* and the blackwater biotope is perfect! 125s can be so hard to layout too just because of how long they are nothing ever "feels" right when I lay them out. Like I took a picture and tried to stretch it to fit as a wallpaper.

One thing I would like to say, since I have no photographic proof of concept yet for the ideas that bounce around in my brain, is nothing beats that weirdly satisfying feeling of messing up your layout and realizing the mistake actually looks better than what was in your head to begin with.

• Like 2

@OnlyGenusCaps. @Beardedbillygoat1975 @Biotope Biologist thank you all for such kind words. The planning and anticipation of setting up a new environment is a big joy of the hobby to me. I need more patience, I’m working on that tho. My next project (already in motion) is an exact biotope with more lighting set ups, mix of natural/ man made materials, probably hand painted background, new type of fish, new substrate, and more. So a lot of research, planing, and testing. I’m so excited for this stage as I am for the build/ set up, the stocking/ planting, and the long term maintenance. I’ve set a one month finish date minimum.

• Love 2