recommendations for 10g breeding

meadeam

Other than live bearing species, can you recommend a fish to breed in a 10g?  Ideally I'd like to be able to leave the fry with the parents until they are big enough to need their own tank, but I know the chances of that working out are pretty low.  I'd like to try fish rather than invertebrates, though I do want to eventually breed shrimp as well.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, Gator said:

@meadeam; I've bred Bettas, Cories, Neon Tetras, and Zebrafish in a 10 G tank before, but in either case you'll have to separate the eggs from the parents. The Bettas and Cories will eat the babies, the Tetras and Zebrafish will eat the eggs.

I’ve had good success with panda Corys in a 10 gallon.  Never pull the eggs or babies, but provide LOTS of cover for them.  

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 PM, Ken Burke said:

I’ve had good success with panda Corys in a 10 gallon.  Never pull the eggs or babies, but provide LOTS of cover for them.  

Good to know.  I have been thinking about lots of leaf litter and botanicals, maybe some flat rocks that I have in addition to some compact growth plants.  It would be cool to get some baby cories going down there. 

• Haha 1

I've been breeding (or more accurately, allowing to breed) white cloud mountain minnows in an unheated 10 gallon with a lot of java moss. I'm not pulling out the fry as a rule, except for some larger ones I've moved to a 5g tank on my desk at work.

I'm fairly happy with the number of fry that are surviving and growing, but I'm sure I could increase the survival rate with some floating plants and specific fry foods. (I've been letting the tank grow out and accumulate mulm to try to provide aufwuchs for the young fry to eat, but haven't been feeding anything special besides the parents' flake food.)

On 12/7/2021 at 9:21 AM, drewzero1 said:

I've been breeding (or more accurately, allowing to breed) white cloud mountain minnows in an unheated 10 gallon with a lot of java moss. I'm not pulling out the fry as a rule, except for some larger ones I've moved to a 5g tank on my desk at work.

I'm fairly happy with the number of fry that are surviving and growing, but I'm sure I could increase the survival rate with some floating plants and specific fry foods. (I've been letting the tank grow out and accumulate mulm to try to provide aufwuchs for the young fry to eat, but haven't been feeding anything special besides the parents' flake food.)

That's cool.  I have some White Clouds I accidentally got in a bag with black neon tetras from Pet Smart a little over a year ago.  I didn't know what they were until recently (assumed they were a type of tetra) but I really like them.  Mine have never bred that I know of, but I keep them with tropicals at ~77F so that may be why.  I am thinking about getting some more for an outdoor tub this summer.  I may start the tub indoors this winter and just not heat it.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, meadeam said:

That's cool.  I have some White Clouds I accidentally got in a bag with black neon tetras from Pet Smart a little over a year ago.  I didn't know what they were until recently (assumed they were a type of tetra) but I really like them.  Mine have never bred that I know of, but I keep them with tropicals at ~77F so that may be why.  I am thinking about getting some more for an outdoor tub this summer.  I may start the tub indoors this winter and just not heat it.

I got mine summer 2020 and they never seemed to spar or show off at each other until it started getting warmer again this spring. I don't have a good water thermometer but air temps in the basement got down to the high 50s F near the tank during the winter. I have some of the first fry from June in my low/mid-70s F office and they're already sparring, so I think water temperature influences their breeding behavior. I've never tried them with my tropicals though so I'm not sure how they behave in temps over room temperature. In a few weeks I'll be moving the adults to my 20 long which has a heater, so I may experiment with a low heat setting to try and keep them spawning over the winter.

I also would love to try tubbing some of them next summer. Either that or a pond!

I was thinking white clouds. My F1 generation spawned in my 20Long and I moved the babies over to my 10 gal. You may need a bit of cover If you want everyone to be in one tank, I think some of my fish are fry eaters while others may not be. I put out 2 tubs over the summer and one spawned ~ 60 fry and the other none. Not sure what caused it. If you have one male with a couple females... It could be a fun project. I think I am going to try and experiment with getting more red in mine. I have one male that is really red comparatively and would be cool to see what line breeding may do (golden WCMM's btw).

I'm thinking to start with cories and white clouds (not in the same tank).  I'll try to scape each tank in a way to maximize fry survival while still being a display tank.

I think my shrimp are trying to breed in the heavily planted 29 they are in, but there is a small school of cories in there hoovering up everything they can find.  There are some places the shrimp can reach that that cories can't, but if any survive it won't be a large number.  

If you want high yields you’ll want to pull the fry. Both of these species are not attentive parents in fact are known for eating eggs and fry. 

You’ll see for the WCs that people rig up egg pullers - air driven tubes connected to a moss covered container to pull the eggs out and into a safe place. Tons of YT videos on this. 

For the corys you have to gently scrape the eggs off whichever surface they choose to lay.

If you’re looking for a natural selection approach loads and loads of cover - guppy grass, hornwort, PSO, water sprite, wisteria to name a few plants that can be helpful in this scenario. .