Celestial Pearl Danios

Josh333

On 12/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, Mr Gumby said:

I've never seen females spar in my tanks but the males do constantly.

Can't see from the pictures but maybe some juvenile males who haven't developed full fins yet are doing it?

What I understood that females have a black dot by the anal fin. The top picture with the ones that came out clear where the ones chasing each other and started sparing

On 12/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, Josh333 said:

What I understood that females have a black dot by the anal fin. The top picture with the ones that came out clear where the ones chasing each other and started sparing

Yes they do have a black dot by the anal fin.

As they mature the males get more colour and the fins are much more elaborate.

Not sure why females would spar unless maybe you have many more females than males but I'm guessing

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

My females definitely keep rank. They let each other know who is tank queen. Not nearly as full display “I’m boss” shenanigans as the boys though. 

Oh alright thanks. Yeah I have 10 CPDs looks like one might only be a male

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Yes they do have a black dot by the anal fin.

As they mature the males get more colour and the fins are much more elaborate.

Not sure why females would spar unless maybe you have many more females than males but I'm guessing

Yeah I might have only one male out of 10. The one runs in and out of the pants and have a very bronze color stripe on his head

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:54 PM, Josh333 said:

bronze color stripe on his head

I noticed my most dominant male gets the most prominent stripe you are talking about. The other males get this to a lesser degree but only once they are sexually mature. I hatch them myself so have gotten to see them grow compete win/lose snd develop this. Very cool to watch. If you want some easy ways to hatch and grow your own to get more males let me know. Its not at all difficult 

The most dominant  also gets the reddest fins

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

I noticed my most dominant male gets the most prominent stripe you are talking about. The other males get this to a lesser degree but only once they are sexually mature. I hatch them myself so have gotten to see them grow compete win/lose snd develop this. Very cool to watch. If you want some easy ways to hatch and grow your own to get more males let me know. Its not at all difficult 

I am starting to see fin nipping. One of the CPDs has most of the her tail gone! 😟

• Sad 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yeah that would be great. Wanted to try to breed them. First time keeping them and only had them for about 2 weeks

I'm with @Guppysnail on this, I'll defer to her veteran CPD rank I've not had my 9 very long, I think I have 5 female 4 male (hard to say they're in a planted cube that's really started to grow in so I never see them all at once. No matter the gender they seem to do the little dances with each other male/male female/female and male/female quite a bit. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 6:28 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@eatyourpeas maybe it's because you only have 3. Seems like when you get a small amount of a fish that typically hangs in groups of 6 or more there's more in-fighting when their numbers dwindle. Can you add more? 

There are 10 CDPs and 6 Lampeyes in the tank. They all hang together or in smaller groups. She is not cast out by any means, just not much of her caudal fin left. Swims fine, eats, does her own share of chasing. I am wondering if it may be a Lampeye doing the fin damage. They are nippy as well. 🙄