Starting new 75 gallon hi tech aquarium, suggestions/recommendations

Adam M

On 11/29/2021 at 11:10 PM, Adam M said:

I'm looking for recommendations on light & filter.  I am wanting a nice carpet of something not sure yet, but most of the other plants i have already decided on.

I honestly don't have much by way of experienced recommendations since I keep all smaller tanks. My ideas below are just me thinking this outlaid off the cuff.

Do you have a vision in mind of what you would like the finished tank to look like? Scape? Plants? Fish? That might make a big difference in what you're looking for.

I've enjoyed some Hygrophilia species for bright greens in certain tanks. If you "train" your hygro by keeping it low in the tank, they can sort of carpet. Bronze crypts will kind of carpet too, but of course they get large. For a very low-to-the-substrate carpet, you'll need to determine whether you're looking for something with very demanding light needs or not. I prefer simplicity, so I try to avoid plants that require CO2, etc.

Because I'm a budget guy . . . I'd probably go for couple (?) of 48-inch Finnex Stingrays...

1336647501_ScreenShot2021-11-29at11_57_41PM.png.ec44aab25a96c6f442c3652d147a666d.png

The most common type of filter is probably a canister for a 75 gal. I like the way that the added water polishing HOBs work in conjunction with canisters (e.g. Aqueon Quietflow 300). But that gets into a lot of money.

For what it's worth . . . call me crazy . . . but I might just use two LARGE sponge filters on either side in the back, and an added strong air flow in the center. This is how I've set up my 55 gal Discus tank...

1624655930_ScreenShot2021-11-30at12_05_40AM.png.aced6848701b1e2a5536ece83bfe160e.png 

Biological filtration is all I really am concerned with. Discus are fine. Sponges are preferable for me for a number of reasons. But I understand how much of an eyesore they can be too. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

I honestly don't have much by way of experienced recommendations since I keep all smaller tanks. My ideas below are just me thinking this outlaid off the cuff.

Do you have a vision in mind of what you would like the finished tank to look like? Scape? Plants? Fish? That might make a big difference in what you're looking for.

I've enjoyed some Hygrophilia species for bright greens in certain tanks. If you "train" your hygro by keeping it low in the tank, they can sort of carpet. Bronze crypts will kind of carpet too, but of course they get large. For a very low-to-the-substrate carpet, you'll need to determine whether you're looking for something with very demanding light needs or not. I prefer simplicity, so I try to avoid plants that require CO2, etc.

Because I'm a budget guy . . . I'd probably go for couple (?) of 48-inch Finnex Stingrays...

1336647501_ScreenShot2021-11-29at11_57_41PM.png.ec44aab25a96c6f442c3652d147a666d.png

The most common type of filter is probably a canister for a 75 gal. I like the way that the added water polishing HOBs work in conjunction with canisters (e.g. Aqueon Quietflow 300). But that gets into a lot of money.

For what it's worth . . . call me crazy . . . but I might just use two LARGE sponge filters on either side in the back, and an added strong air flow in the center. This is how I've set up my 55 gal Discus tank...

1624655930_ScreenShot2021-11-30at12_05_40AM.png.aced6848701b1e2a5536ece83bfe160e.png 

Biological filtration is all I really am concerned with. Discus are fine. Sponges are preferable for me for a number of reasons. But I understand how much of an eyesore they can be too. 

Both of those tanks are looking exceptional! You know me, the top one is my favorite. 😁

• Like 1

this is a rough concept of what i want the scape to look like, i am going to use blue gravel to make the stream at the bottom got some java ferns that are fairly large and bushy to use for trees. as far as fish, i have no idea what i want to put in it more interested in scaping it 

OIP.jpg

• Like 1

I’d look up YouTube videos on creating depth in aqua scapes. Green Aqua would be a good place along with George Farmer. Tech wise a canister would be the least intrusive to allow for the aquascape to be front and center. Oase makes one that stores the heater in it which could help minimize clutter. 
You’ll need to consider the dry start method to start a carpet. Aquasoil, a really good light as many pots of your chosen carpeting plant - HC Cuba, dwarf baby tears, crypt parva, microsword or dwarf hairgrass are a few ideas. Then just water and put as many root tabs in as possible and spray with water daily for a month or so. 
For the trees you could use small to medium lengths of cholla wood vertically and attach the Java fern or just moss. Aquapros has done some interesting scapes that are somewhat similar to your idea. 
This kind of vision usually requires CO2 so you’ll need a regulator with solenoid, CO2 bottle, diffuser. 

Id consider a backlight background to get that blue sky effect, @Ryo Watanabehad a cool one on his YouTube channel

On 11/30/2021 at 5:06 PM, Adam M said:

this is a rough concept of what i want the scape to look like, i am going to use blue gravel to make the stream at the bottom got some java ferns that are fairly large and bushy to use for trees. as far as fish, i have no idea what i want to put in it more interested in scaping it 

OIP.jpg

As Beardedbillygoat1975 said, Green Aqua and George Farmer are good places to watch how to create depth.

I'm going to add Josh Sim. He takes the time to break down each element of the art concepts behind creating depth. Most of his talks include pictures with the specific element circled, so there is almost no room for misunderstanding. 

If you ever took an art class, the theories are the same:

• Create a vanishing point (some scapes utilize 2 vanishing points)

• Place largest pieces at the front, and smallest/thinnest pieces in the back to accentuate the illusion of the plants /rocks/gravel in the back being the same size as what is upfront, just further away

• Josh also makes a good argument for white sand to represent water (creeks, streams, and waterfalls) due to how white sand reflects light. It may be worth testing both concepts in the bottom of a couple of jars so you can fill with water and look at under your light (before committing to the entire build)

This concept looks really amazing, I can't wait to see your progress!

I definitely defer to Mmiller2001 for anything CO2 related for your tank.

I'm just an art school dropout who figured out how to apply my [not finished] art degree to build tanks that look like they are a piece of nature framed in a glass box😅

And I don't have the patience or resources for CO2, so I am still hacking work arounds, lol

You will need 2 of them on a 75. And for that amount of money, you are better off getting something like a Chihiros WRGB2 120.

The Chihiros is far better than a Fluval.

I have a over under comparison of the Fluval and Chihiros. Notice the yellow cast on the Fluval.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/10089-millers-journal/page/4/

Edited by Mmiller2001