Goldfish and Sponge Filters

Luxa

Hi, folks! I'm a college student and about a month ago, my parents' home (where my fish live) lost power during a major storm. I was at college and power remained out for almost a week. Since I wasn't home to protect the fish, they all died after suffering in 50 degree water for six days.

Now, I'm ready to rebuild the tank, and I want to give fancy Goldfish a go. I currently have a 65-gallon set up. There are three crypts, two vals, and a tuft of Pothos up top on a tiled bottom. I'm used to having many more plants, but I wanted to thin things out for this setup.

Here's my question, finally: I have two LARGE Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters. Each is running on individual air pumps at maximum capacity (many rapid but small bubbles). These are hefty sponge filters and they're drawing a lot of water through them. My plan now is to get three Oranda or Ranchu Goldfish once these new filters are well cycled. Is this enough filtration for my planned stocking. I have had BAD experiences with canister filters and mixed results from HOBs in the past, and sponges are just... so easy.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have a homemade Python-like water change system, too, so I can very easily change 50%+ of the water weekly.

Edited by Gabe P.

How often are you willing to water change? What’s your plan for maintenance? 

Filtration is such a personal thing. In the plan I’ve created for my future 210 g goldfish tank I have 2 FX6s and 3 xl sponge filters as the filtration plan. My thought was that I’ll get biological and some mechanical from the sponges plus aeration and the FX6s will do all 3 forms of filtration. 

I think pothos and or lucky bamboo could do a lot of filtration for you if you want to just stick with sponges. 

Goldfish are messy vandals.  I didn't keep fancy goldfish and they may not be as destructive comets and if the plants are well rooted they might manage to stay in the substrate. Pathos and bamboo are great ideas 

I kept two comets in a tank similar in size and I ran a fluval 307 and internal power filter (I basically added every filter I owned ). Loved keeping them and the work was an acceptable price. The 307 came with tank so I never looked at filter alternatives. 

I'm not familiar with sponge filters so can't offer much on how it will pan out but two gives you the option of cleaning them on alternate weeks to keep max bacteria. I think Cory would say a large sponge can deal with anything and I am sure he was running them with goldfish in few of the vids.  Just be prepared to be doing those weekly vacs and water changes as they grow they could well need it.

On my goldfish tank I Use a fluval 307 external canister filter and a ziss 300f bubble filter and do a 25% water change a week and I have never had ammonia or nitirtes works well for me  i think you could get away with sponge filters as long as your doing regular water changes as others have said goldfish are very messy fish that why I like canister filter

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

I have a mature fantail goldfish in a moderately planted 40 breeder with two of the medium ACO sponge filters and my nitrates rarely get over 10 in a one week timespan. I'm sure the plants are contributing a lot to this, but I definitely think that sponge filters only are worth a shot. Especially if you're dedicated to water testing and changes as the tank matures.

• 3 weeks later...