Panda Cory with Clamped Fins!!

William Lynch

Please Help! I recently bought a group of 6 panda corys which came in very small. I put them in the quarantine tank and put the med trio through them and a couple of days later I have noticed one of the corys with clamped fins. (the rest look fine). I put some food in towards the end of the first week of quarantine but I don't think he is eating much and belly is very sunken in....  I really don't want to lose him 😞  Tank's water parameters will be below along with a picture of the little guy.

Water Parameters

Nitrate <10

Nitrite 0

Hardness 200 ppm

KH 60

pH 7.2

Chlorine 0

Ammonia <0.5 ppm

Water Temp 74 F

IMG_2117_HEIC.jpg.e947c35e8d5a5771d81c5bce252898a5.jpgIMG_2118_HEIC.jpg.1571328d9376be1c11f25f2d4d9b07d2.jpg

• Sad 2

Separate that fish and treat with levamisole.  That looks like worms. I’m not a med expert and do not often medicate fish. This poor little one I would. If levamisole does not work use praziquantel for tape worms. Oh my I’m so sorry your little one has this issue. My thoughts are with you. Healthy Pandas should be plump in my personal experience. Maybe some med folks have a better option @Colu is great with this stuff. 

On 11/20/2021 at 1:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

Separate that fish and treat with levamisole.  That looks like worms. I’m not a med expert and do not often medicate fish. This poor little one I would. If levamisole does not work use praziquantel for tape worms. Oh my I’m so sorry your little one has this issue. My thoughts are with you. Healthy Pandas should be plump in my personal experience. Maybe some med folks have a better option @Colu is great with this stuff. 

Oh no! I’ll order some expel p right away because I do not have any levamisole currently. This may be a dumb question but should I assume that all of the healthy looking Pandas are sick as well? I only have the 1 quarantine tank so in order to isolate the sick one, the others would have to go into my display tank. Bad idea? Thank you for your reply

@Colu last night I started the paracleanse treatment and this morning the fish was dead. There appears to be another fish with clamped fins leaving only 4 looking normal now. The other cory with clamped fins looks to be in better shape than the now dead one. He is swimming around a bit. I will remove the dead fish and finish out the treatment as the box recommends. Unfortunate 😕

@Guppysnail here is a bit of an update. Hoping for the best moving forward. 

Edited by William Lynch
  • Sad 3

Have @Coluand @Guppysnail does it look like it’s body is  mid-shappened body like a defect. Colu I have when to using Fenbendazole in tank that are well established and have been treated for worms previously with Paracleanse or levamisole.

@William Lynch do you have something like live BBS or some repashy or or something they can’t past up.  Colu and guppysnail may have some better foods. Any thing to get them eating

@Brandon p unfortunately no. I don’t have any bbs or repashy. I have krill flake, algae wafers, vibra bites, co-op fry food, and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Should I feed them while still medicating them? I think I’ve heard Cory say once that it’s usually easier for the fish to pass any worm or parasite if they aren’t fed anything

On 11/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, William Lynch said:

@Colu ok the other fish with clamped fins is quite thin and the rest are thin but not quite sunken in yet. If you were to feed what would be your go to considering I don’t have repashy or bbs?

How sad. Crushed flake is good or hikari wafers with the corydora picture orange bag. I cant remember the name. My fingers are crossed for your little ones. 

@Colu Here is an update for you. Last night I started the second round of Paracleanse treatment. (day 3) This afternoon when I went to check on the tank the cory with the clamped fins seems to now have fin rot as a chunk of his tail is missing. He is also still clamped. What should I do now? I also don't know if the other fish are sick as well just not showing any symptoms. They physically look the same as before but maybe they also have something going on.