Help me plan an experiment- Phosguard

Following on from the post by @meadeam who used Phosguard to clear algae from plants I'm planning to give it ago but as this is an opportunity for learning let's work out the best way to get the most meaning out of the use.

Tank is currently a mess so we have a lot we can monitor. 

I don't test for phosphates currently but will be picking up test so I can check my tap water.

I have plenty of algae on plants and other surfaces its only an issue on the plants. 

I have a small reoccurring cyanobacteria issue at the back of the tank and some reading suggested that Phosguard cleared that up so that is definitely worth looking at.

It's tank cleaning day so do I clear the cyanobacteria and monitor how long till it returns or leave it and see if it dies?

I'll build a photo diary of the plants and keep a log of the algae growth on other surfaces. 

I haven't set out an experiment before so any hints and suggesting would be great I have to admit my usual practice is to throw everything at a problem and just a be happy if I get the result I want.

This sounds interesting. I would remove it just for the sake of it not being good for your tank as well so it does not get out of control. What type of algae did the reading say phosphate cleared?  I’ve heard it deters brown diatom  which my critters love to eat (high phosphate and silicates in my source water it never goes away). But on the other hand lack of pho’s causes green spot which nothing I have eats. I know plants also need phosphate to grow so I’m not sure if it’s good for a planted tank and may stunt/kill your plants. Good luck I’m following to see how this turns out. 

This is interesting. I had a moment when I went down a rabbit hole about phosphates in aquariums and got a bit concerned but I think it was @Mmiller2001 who had a lot of insight. From what I understand, there is a correlation between nitrates and phosphates so when the nitrates are high, phosphates tend to increase as well. That would lead me to believe that reducing nitrates would also control phosphates, so the same natural tactics would apply -- water changes, reducing feedings, adding more live plants, etc. But when do you know that you're past the point of natural measures and need to resort to chemical treatment? It might be interesting to add monitoring nitrates to see exactly what affects the Phosguard has on those readings. I think @Guppysnailmakes to good point though about the affects reducing phosphates could have on plants. 

On 11/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, Brandon p said:

Any thoughts on using Carbon.

Well no that hadn't occurred to me, giving it some thought now. 

@Jennifer V and @Guppysnail. I struggle with green spot algae on plants (not bothered on the glass that's easier to clean). I currently do a water change about monthly or whenever the tests show nitrates around 40 . Cyanobacteria appears around that mark as well. 

My plan was to do the 4 day "detox" see what it does to the algae and plants (ferts on hand) then monitor the levels and see what happens. Kind of a reset but without breaking the cycle. 

On 11/20/2021 at 12:07 PM, Flumpweesel said:

struggle with green spot algae

This is caused by LACK of phosphate. Phosguard removes phosphate. I had a bout of green spot everywhere when my water company was upgrading something or other. I bought seachem phosphate and got no more green spot. It did not cure what already exists but no more appeared. Here is what’s left fro 2 months ago when this occurred. 

F5E66FA7-4186-4B1E-824A-6DC4020B8EF1.jpeg

4378210E-777D-418C-A5BA-549EC9A49D02.jpeg

On 11/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

This is caused by LACK of phosphate. Phosguard removes phosphate. I had a bout of green spot everywhere when my water company was upgrading something or other. I bought seachem phosphate and got no more green spot. It did not cure what already exists but no more appeared. Here is what’s left fro 2 months ago when this occurred. 

F5E66FA7-4186-4B1E-824A-6DC4020B8EF1.jpeg

4378210E-777D-418C-A5BA-549EC9A49D02.jpeg

Thanks for that, definitely need to test and then act. I know something is out of whack hopefully you've put me right I'm not chasing the missing parameter for ever.