Bullying corydoras

William Lynch

Good morning everyone!

I decided to post my struggle on the forum and try to get some help from you guys... I have a 40 gal breeder with 25 ember tetras and 6 panda cory's. I am really enjoying the tank however the issues begin to arise at feeding time.

The embers are voracious eaters and whenever I try to get some food down to the cory's wether it be algae wafers, vibra bites, or bloodworms the tetras really beat on the corys trying to get some of the action.

I had enough of it last night so I turned off the lights earlier to see if that would help. What would other ways of dealing with this be? Do I just maybe need to feed the tetras more or is feeding the corys with the lights off a good tactic? I just don't want my cory's to slowly waste away. Thanks!

On 11/13/2021 at 7:53 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd try distracting the tetra's with floaty food and plunge my hand in to release sinking food closer to the bottom for the corys. 

Hopefully they'll get a chance to claim some before the tetra's figure out what's happening.

This only issue that I find with this is that the tetras eat way faster than the cory's who like to graze on their food. Once the surface and the water column are free of food, they set their sights on the cory's...

On 11/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd try distracting the tetra's with floaty food and plunge my hand in to release sinking food closer to the bottom for the corys. 

Hopefully they'll get a chance to claim some before the tetra's figure out what's happening.

I do this with my piggy guppies. But like you said floaty food gone then no distractions. I started feeding my guppies just very tiny amounts over quite a few minutes to hold their attention longer. It helps. They all chase a very very tiny bits then I add another few. Good exercise for them 🤣🤣🤣

On 11/13/2021 at 8:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

I do this with my piggy guppies. But like you said floaty food gone then no distractions. I started feeding my guppies just very tiny amounts over quite a few minutes to hold their attention longer. It helps. They all chase a very very tiny bits then I add another few. Good exercise for them 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks @Guppysnail I'll have to give that a try today!

I always keep my fingers crossed that you will respond to my posts lol 😁

• Like 1

It’s never a bother ask away keeps me from talking fish AT my very disinterested hubby 🤣. I overfeed and therefore I over maintain. I also do add some extra when the tank lights go out but I leave the room light on for an extra 30 minutes to allow there eyes to adjust (I read somewhere it takes 30 minutes don’t know if it’s true). I worry that if I go to a nocturnal feeding then they won’t be as active in the daytime and I won’t be able to snoop 👀 their antics as much 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Maybe to get a few seconds if you had food for corys pre loaded in a turkey baster in the water close to corys atleast pointed towards bottom. Then fed top and while embers are distracted squirt the baster.

Or try to find a repashy embers don’t like, because corys will eat anything IMO. 
good luck mate 

On 11/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

It’s never a bother ask away keeps me from talking fish AT my very disinterested hubby 🤣. I overfeed and therefore I over maintain. I also do add some extra when the tank lights go out but I leave the room light on for an extra 30 minutes to allow there eyes to adjust (I read somewhere it takes 30 minutes don’t know if it’s true). I worry that if I go to a nocturnal feeding then they won’t be as active in the daytime and I won’t be able to snoop 👀 their antics as much 🤣

Lol Good points! I can see how it would take 30 minutes minutes for them to adjust. I have my tank going from full light to darkness and the fish still seem quite active after about half an hour. 

On 11/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Atitagain said:

Maybe to get a few seconds if you had food for corys pre loaded in a turkey baster in the water close to corys atleast pointed towards bottom. Then fed top and while embers are distracted squirt the baster.

Or try to find a repashy embers don’t like, because corys will eat anything IMO. 
good luck mate 

I really am interested in trying a repashy food in the future. Just hasn’t been a priority for me with the fish and foods I currently have. Definitely something to look into though. It’s hard to find something the embers won’t eat lol. I feel like to more of them there are in the school the more foods they eat! Follow the leader I suppose

• Like 1