Treating ich with shrimp in the tank

SKAVENCLOWNLOACH

I think I have ich in my tank , I just added 10shrimps and some plants a week ago. I was thinking It would be best to treat it with heat beacause of the shrimp.

Will endlers , bristlenose and neo shrimps handle 86f for some time?

how long would you recomend to keep the heat at 86f?

water parameters

ph 7.8

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10-20ppm

gh 125,3ppm

kh 71,6ppm

any advice appreciated

4F74EBA6-694E-4889-B7AE-56AF3D95F131.jpeg

9F759E16-7821-4C6E-A7C0-FAECB99CF785.jpeg

So… heat may only cause the Ich to go through its life cycle faster, rather than really cure it altogether. Are you planning to use a chemical treatment as well, such as Ich-X, or Rid-Ich?

What temperature are your fish currently at? My experience would suggest that 86°-F is pretty hot for Endlers. If you raise slowly, Plecos may adapt alright. I’d suggest no higher than 80°-F, and use a treatment you trust. Follow instructions completely.

Beware: if you have multiple tanks, Ich spreads easily. Do not get your fingers or supplies in the Ich-infested water, and then dunk into any other aquariums. 

• Thanks 1

You would have to heat the tank to above 86 degrees to actually kill the Ich, which may be much too warm for your tank inhabitants. Any increase in heat below that will only accelerate the life cycle of the Ich and probably won't cure your fish, and may make your fish weaker and even more susceptible to the disease. Ich-X is sold as safe for inverts and many people have had good results using it with shrimp in the tank. I personally have used it multiple times, but only with fish and not shrimp, the most sensitive fish in the tank being Otocinclus, with no deaths in my tank. Overall in my opinion Ich-X would be the way to go at a reasonable tank temperature based on your species.

Edited by colo3000
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:21 PM, Fish Folk said:

So… heat may only cause the Ich to go through its life cycle faster, rather than really cure it altogether. Are you planning to use a chemical treatment as well, such as Ich-X, or Rid-Ich?

What temperature are your fish currently at? My experience would suggest that 86°-F is pretty hot for Endlers. If you raise slowly, Plecos may adapt alright. I’d suggest no higher than 80°-F, and use a treatment you trust. Follow instructions completely.

Beware: if you have multiple tanks, Ich spreads easily. Do not get your fingers or supplies in the Ich-infested water, and then dunk into any other aquariums. 

My tank is at 77f , Im just going to keep the temp at 77 and get ich-x and hope my shrimp will be ok. 

thanks for reminding me , I have another tank right below this one.

• Like 1