At my wits end :(

LCRYAN

Please help me ! I can not figure out what I’m dealing with illness wise. I had to euthanize two very sick fish with clove oil (one had what looked like a yeast infection all over its fins and body. He was also turning white. He lost complete motor control over his body and looked to be seizing hard every 2 min. while breathing rapidly. He also seemed to be losing scales in back of his head/top back.) the other fish (had white fungus all on its lips and down its throat). I have another fish (female) who is clamping her tail and is hiding/listless. A little bit of redness on gills. She’s also staying by the heater a lot of the time. She is only interested in eating. 

I have 7 fish who were exposed to whatever this is in a 55 g. And 3 exposed to this in a 10 g.

the only one at this time who’s showing real signs of illness is the female in the 10g with two friends.

Both tanks: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 7 ph, hard water

temp is about 81-82 degrees 

I think I’m dealing with a very slow slow slow killing columnaris but I could be very wrong.

right now I’m using kanaplex and jungle fungle clear which has furan in it (unfortunately furan2 is no longer available)

With the symptoms your describing it could be a bacterial infection with secondary fungal infection  if you think it Columnaris and you can't get hole of furan2 I would treat with kanaplex and aquatics foods premium flake containing nitrofurazone

Screenshot_20211027-054337~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

You can also turn the heat down a bit if you think it is Columnaris.

One question: I noticed your nitrate is 0. Unless it is heavily planted, that can be an indication of it undergoing a cycle, or a brand new tank. Perhaps ammonia or nitrite has been present as well....just not at the time of your test. This can certainly cause problems.

I am assuming you use some form of dechlorinator as well.

• Love 1

I use de chlorinator and I do water changes weekly. I have cycled sponges in all of them (multiple in each tank) which keeps ammonia and nitrite at bay. I got pre seeded sponges from Angels Plus. When I didn’t have seeded sponges  in, everything would spike. But, when I put them in, it all went to zero and now I never ever see nitrate. Does anyone know what that’s all about?

On 11/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, LCRYAN said:

I use de chlorinator and I do water changes weekly. I have cycled sponges in all of them (multiple in each tank) which keeps ammonia and nitrite at bay. I got pre seeded sponges from Angels Plus. When I didn’t have seeded sponges  in, everything would spike. But, when I put them in, it all went to zero and now I never ever see nitrate. Does anyone know what that’s all about?

sounds like the seeded sponges provided the needed bacteria colony.

• Thanks 1

My tanks have been running for over 3 months. They have no real plants but are extremely low stocked. I have 7 mollies in a 55g. 5 neons and a snail in a 20. And two mollies in a 10g. 

I do also have 2 fry in a 5 g for safety 

All of my tanks are cleaned weekly and they all have one of two pre seeded sponges from Angels Plus that have kept ammonia and nitrite at 0.

I just lost the girl today 😞 she def had dropsy. Their is something horribly wrong in my 55g and 10g and I’m really freaking out.