Deli Cups?

StockEwe49

Hi all, I just wanted to consult the forum about deli cups or other contraptions you may use to stop sponge filters from splattering on your aquarium lids. Does anyone use a variation of the deli cup or an actual deli cup? If so, does it keep you lids clean, what are the benefits you are experiencing?

I use a half-gallon plastic pitcher made for keeping iced tea or Kool-Aid in. I'll hold it over the open top of my tanks to either put the sponge filter or sponge pre-filter in so that any water drops fall back into the tank. I can then take the pitcher into the bathroom or kitchen to clean the sponge in a sink without dripping water on my carpet. It works like a charm.

Sincerely 

Gator

• Thanks 1

@StockEwe49 There is a YouTuber that uses the lid for deli cups. Just drill a hole in the center of the lid, run the airline through, and connect to the sponge filter. Have the lid lay on top of the water. It isn’t perfect by any means, but it will make a drastic difference. 
Personally, I do not use this method because a bit of baking soda will clean up a lid like brand new. Just be sure it is thoroughly rinsed through. 
Either way, those are the simplest solutions in my experience. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, StockEwe49 said:

Hi all, I just wanted to consult the forum about deli cups or other contraptions you may use to stop sponge filters from splattering on your aquarium lids. Does anyone use a variation of the deli cup or an actual deli cup? If so, does it keep you lids clean, what are the benefits you are experiencing?

Back when I had tanks with lids, I kept a sponge under the lid/over the air stone or the uplift tube for the UGF.

Double duty: the sponge provides extra surface area for beneficial bacteria,  and also prevents the calcium deposits from crusting the lid.

I don't have any glass lidded tanks right now. 

• Thanks 1

Lucas Bretz (LRB) is the YouTube person that I have seen using the deli cup lids to help with the bubble splattering. As far as cleaning them, they are so cheap, you can just replace as needed. If you are meaning how to clean the lids to your aquarium, i use either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. I have a spray bottle with straight vinegar in and spray on the lid, let soak for 5 minutes or so and then most with just wash off, once in a while, there will be stubborn deposits that need a razorblade for persuasion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have several tanks with thin pieces of clear plastic, roughly 4" square, with one corner rounded off so it doesn't fall in the tank, and a hole drilled in it for the air line to pass through.  The plastic sits on the lip inside the rim of the tanks.  It works okay.

image.png.94e5ade02703d8a87234358b7bd9e459.png

• Thanks 1

I use one on my main tank and it is working like a charm. I have only ever had to clean the deli cup lid, and pretty infrequently.  The wall and close air tubing still looks great in my opinion. My three tanks that do not have the deli cup lids have all sorts of stuff spattered up that has to be cleaned weekly. 

To make cleaning the deli cup lid easier I took an extra step. I clogged the end of air line tubing tee and stuck the deli lid on the clogged end with a small piece of air tubing to help keep it in place.  To clean it I just remove the small piece of air line tubing and it chives right off. 

Below is a picture of my set up during a water change. The back air line tubing is above water when "full". 

20211031_175514.jpg

• Thanks 1