Question regarding power outage and redumping of dead bacteria

HotTunaCartel

I've seen quite a few videos etc about bacteria dying in filters during a power outage and then dumping that back in the tank when the power comes back on.   

Has anyone experienced this before?   

I'm asking because we are getting into the winter here and we have power outages several times during the winter.  Sometimes they can be 30 mins other times they can be a few hours.   Currently I'm using a tidal 35 on my 20 long and a tidal 55 on my 44 gallon.  I always have a sponge filter in each tank.  But I'm really thinking if the dying bacteria is really an issue, how much could crash a tank with the little bit of water and media hob filters hold.  

Unles the media goes dry your bacteria will not die. The worry is mainly in suffocating bacteria in a canister. I run hobs on tanks with canisters just for extra flow and so I can instant start tanks with a seasoned filter if need. I am EXTREMELY guilty of forgetting for a whole day to plug them back in after water changes. They are still wet so I have seen no issues. I have also forgotten (I’m old no judging) to plug them in on tanks that only have an accompanying sponge filter. Again I have never seen an issue

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

Unles the media goes dry your bacteria will not die. The worry is mainly in suffocating bacteria in a canister. I run hobs on tanks with canisters just for extra flow and so I can instant start tanks with a seasoned filter if need. I am EXTREMELY guilty of forgetting for a whole day to plug them back in after water changes. They are still wet so I have seen no issues. I have also forgotten (I’m old no judging) to plug them in on tanks that only have an accompanying sponge filter. Again I have never seen an issue

Excellent, thanks so much!   

I was thinking about going with just sponge filters and using a hob to shove floss in to clear water up after cleaning or water changes but now that you've settled my mind I will probably keep the hobs full time.  

On 10/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, s1_ said:

The tidals are great filters. I would keep them running like you plan. They self prime so they will always restart when power is restored.

I run air from my central pump to all of my tanks. even the "show" tanks that have cannisters and hobs will have a sponge filter.  My central air pump is on a diy battery backup 

That is quite the backup but damn that makes sense.  I have several ride on mower batteries that I might have to fully read that post in depth.  

I love the tidals and yes its wonderful that they auto start and very large media bin.  I really think they could make the ultimate filter if they made is smoked and a little lower profile like the aquaclears. 

I have canisters and lost power for 4 hours. No ammonia spikes, just a 24 hour bacterial bloom. There's plenty of BB in the substrate to handle things once everything is flowing again. 

If you expect longer outages, grab some battery operated air pumps. Then just rinse out the canister when power returns.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 3:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I have canisters and lost power for 4 hours. No ammonia spikes, just a 24 hour bacterial bloom. There's plenty of BB in the substrate to handle things once everything is flowing again. 

If you expect longer outages, grab some battery operated air pumps. Then just rinse out the canister when power returns.

Awesome thanks so much 

Little update, I had another guppy attempt to make a world record jump attempt.... 

So..... I ended up finishing off a mesh top for the tank and instead of having to do a bunch of cut outs to fit around the filters.  Just easier and less frustrating to make a rectangular screen.   

I put the media bag next to another large sponge filter and put the aco powerhead with a finer sponge on the bottom of that.  

Will update later today 

On 10/30/2021 at 3:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

So, the battery operated pumps are for air stones and sponge filters?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:08 PM, HotTunaCartel said:

Little update, I had another guppy attempt to make a world record jump attempt.... 

So..... I ended up finishing off a mesh top for the tank and instead of having to do a bunch of cut outs to fit around the filters.  Just easier and less frustrating to make a rectangular screen.   

I put the media bag next to another large sponge filter and put the aco powerhead with a finer sponge on the bottom of that.  

Will update later today 

I think this is really going to help jumpers and when I put more fish/snails in 

IMG_5084.jpeg