Heater problems

Brandon p

I’ve had some issues with the 55 gg and up heaters that run most of the time. I get about a year out of them and them nothing. 3 when bad in in 13 days. I have been using the hygger heaters on 20 gal and less and I’m happy so far but the oldest is only 6 months so I would run out and get one unless you have more information than I do. Can any one head me in the right direction. It’s going to be under 77 here in florida  the discus are not happy. So any long lasting heater suggestions would be helpful

I generally have had good experiences with Eheim heaters and Aqueon Pro series all black heaters. One thing a lot of people recommend is running 2x heaters together to ensure your tank never crashes. I had another brand of heater _stick_ a couple months ago, and nearly made sushi out of my Discus. 

Instead of running one large heater  get two smaller heaters and have one at each end of the tank and you can get inkbrid controller to provent your fish from getting cooked if you heater stays in the on position I would always have a spare heater most of the time my heater have failed the shop has been close so it good to have a backup in case of emergencys

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

I generally have had good experiences with Eheim heaters and Aqueon Pro series all black heaters. One thing a lot of people recommend is running 2x heaters together to ensure your tank never crashes. I had another brand of heater _stick_ a couple months ago, and nearly made sushi out of my Discus. 

I remember you saying that. Thank you

I had one extra but two heaters went out. I’m not sure if there was a lot of lighting but the heaters or an battery backup and some of the more expensive lights. All the other stuffy is on surge protection. I will Definitely use two heaters in the larger tanks my house is generally at 78-80 degrees. The only thing that I really see affected are the discus And the L333s. I will also look in to the ink bird. I’m trying to make it through the next 6 of my divorce so I might have to do it over a few months. I want to keep things alive first and work on improving it. Thanks @Colu