Sparkling Gourami or Honey Gourami with Guppies

StockEwe49

Hi all, I have ben wanting to put a dwarf gourami of some kind in with my guppy planted tank. The tank is 55 gallons so there is lots of space for the gourami away from the guppies. I recently was watching a YouTube video where they claimed Sparkling Gourami's wouldn't like being kept with guppies or other livebearers. I am wondering if this is true since I have not heard this from anyone else. 

Has anyone had any experience keeping sparkling Gourami's with guppies? Also if you have kept a Honey Gourami or Sparkling Gourami what did you like or dislike about them? I am stuck between keeping one or the other with the Guppies.

I had sparkling gouramis 5 in a 45 g with Endlers. I think their problem was not the Endlers it was the depth of the tank. They are labyrinth fishes so the farther they have to the surface the more likely they are to struggle. They can’t help but want to go to the surface. I think honey gourami are more robust then the SGs. My next sparkling gourami setup would be a cube 20 g or less  or a library style 12 g heavily planted - I think of them as nano tank fishes. They need a top - they can get startled and jump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep Honeys in a 75 with all sorts of community fish. I find them to be bold, curious and fairly interactive. 
I have Sparkling Gourami in a tiny heavily planted cube. They’re mostly shy but come to the front for food when I’m near and only take frozen food. They are tiny and can disappear into the plants when they feel threatened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never kept a sparkling gourami, but from what I understand they’re pretty shy. I wonder if the guppy males would pester them—I’ve heard guppy males will pester anything. 😄 Then again, maybe the guppies would make the sparkling gourami feel safer and encourage it to come out more.

Honeys are a bit bigger and not too shy at all. I have four honeys in a 55 community tank and they do great! I think they would be fine with guppies.

• Thanks 1

Aww, thanks @StockEwe49! I can’t take the expert crown though. 😄 I’m pretty sure @laritheloud knows more about them in community tank settings so I’m glad she came by to confirm the recommendation. (Plus I never want anyone to feel like they can’t comment or disagree if they have a different experience with honeys—I’ve just had them for just over a year and only raised four sets of fry. That’s really not that much experience in the grand scheme of things.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1