Brackish Plants?

DTC512

Hey you all, 

Do any of you know, or have had any success, with plants in brackish tanks?

If so, which? 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.  ( I keep 6 Figure 8 Puffers, a crawfish, and a handful of bumble-bee gobies in the system) 

- DTC 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:36 AM, DannyBWell said:

@Colu Is there any explanation on why plants have a hard time in brackish water is it the temp? Brackish tanks are on the colder side usually aren't they? Or is it the salt? I would think extra minerals would be better but maybe not?

I think it's just the amount of salt they can tolerate temperature could also play a part

• Thanks 1

I haven’t tried any yet, but I’m in the process of setting up a higher end brackish tank. I’ve heard different opinions on which plants will work but most agree that at a higher level SG it’s hard to get anything to survive. At lower levels you might try: 

Java Fern, Anubias, Dwarf Sag, Val or Bacopa. 

• Like 1

I believe @Daniel told me that he sees hornwort in local brackish water in NC.

In terms of why plants have a hard time tolerating salt water—it is indeed the salt. There are so many minerals that it actually pulls water out of the cells of the plant. Just like pouring salt on a slug pulls water out of the slug and causes it to shrivel. (I hope none of us would ever actually do that but it’s a good theoretical illustration.)

• Like 1