Honey Gourami Fry

Gavan

At least three months and up to six months or more would be my guess, depending on how comfortable you are with their size at selling. They are veeeerrrry slooooooow to grow and mature. I've had one of my honeys for more than six months and she is still noticeably smaller than my other two honeys, but getting there. My guess was she was only around 3 to 4 months when I got her and that's why she's still small.

@Hobbit can definitely give you more first hand experience.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, gwinkels said:

How long do you all find it takes to go from freshly hatched Honey Gourami fry to a sellable size? After a few tries I finally got a batch of fry onto their second week and they're really taking off now!

I’m guessing they develop their labyrinth organ at about the same time frame as Betta splendens, which is between 2-3 weeks old.  If you don’t already have the tank wrapped in plastic wrap, you should.  They need warm, humid air and no drafts while the labyrinth is developing.

I have ZERO experience raising honey gourami, but have raised Bettas.  @Hobbit, we need you!  😘 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

Haha aww! I’ve heard the summons! 😄

I ended up selling most of my honeys at around 3.5 months, and they were not nearly as big as adults. They still looked very juvenile and weren’t sexable yet, but the store was happy to take them, and I was happy to let them. It may be a good idea to ask the store what they want. Based on the size of my honey mating pair when I bought them (at a different store), I’m guessing they were 6 months old.

You can check out the growth and development journal in my signature ⬇️ for a more exact timeline of how the fry grow!

I have some juveniles that I’ve kept are 5.5 months now and the females are starting to look more grown up. I’d say they still have to at least double in mass before they’re full size though. The juvenile male may be a runt, so I’m not sure if his growth pattern is representative. He’s still extremely small, less than a quarter the size of his dad.

Congrats on getting the fry to Week 2! You’ve made it through the hardest part!! 💪

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1