about to fill my fish rack very soon!!!!! :)

FishyMike

Hello Everyone,

I am getting very close to filling some tanks on my new 10 tank rack!!! I will get pictures up very soon!! i do have a quick stocking question. because all my tanks are brand new never stocked when I do fill them i was planning on taking plants and other things from my other tanks putting them in there as well as accouple fish. when I do this should I run a water change everyday so while the benefitable bacteria grows it also get rid of any potentially harmful ammonia or should I just fill them and sit and wait?

I wouldn't rush. If you can get some extra sponge filters running in an existing tank for a week or so, then start "seeding" your new tanks with those. Sounds like you already have some plants and hardscape from a seasoned tank, so that'll help. Once those first few tanks have cycled, use those to do the same for the rest of your new tanks. 

Can't wait to see pictures!

Edited by Griznatch
spelling
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, Griznatch said:

I wouldn't rush. If you can get some extra sponge filters running in an exiting tank for a week or so, then start "seeding" your new tanks with those. Sounds like you already have some plants and hardscape from a seasoned tank, so that'll help. Once those first few tanks have cycled, use those to do the same for the rest of your new tanks. 

Can't wait to see pictures!

yes sorry about that i forgot to mention i have been seeding 8 aquarium co-op sponge filters for well over a month in an established well stocked tank! im just scared that its not enough and ill have an imbalance and kill existing BB.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, Mikeo said:

when I do this should I run a water change everyday so while the benefitable bacteria grows it also get rid of any potentially harmful ammonia

I think it would make sense to check the ammonia every day, just to make sure it's not at a level that might hurt the fishies. If it is, do a big enough water change to protect the fish. If it's low enough to be safe, you're golden for the day.

I'll add that it would make sense to pick the most ammonia-tolerant fish (or snails) from your options. Some can brush off our "oh nooo" moments better than others can.

Your project sounds exciting! 🙂 Do you already know of any particular species you're eager to have?

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I think it would make sense to check the ammonia every day, just to make sure it's not at a level that might hurt the fishies. If it is, do a big enough water change to protect the fish. If it's low enough to be safe, you're golden for the day.

I'll add that it would make sense to pick the most ammonia-tolerant fish (or snails) from your options. Some can brush off our "oh nooo" moments better than others can.

Your project sounds exciting! 🙂 Do you already know of any particular species you're eager to have?

as of right now I have pentazona barbs, blood fin tetras, leopard frog pleco L134, and I have a wrong way pair for veijta gold apistos lol im looking for more apistos and my top bucketlist fish is a group of L46 Zebra pleco!

• Like 1

Agree with @CalmedByFishand @Beardedbillygoat1975  Your seeded sponges should be enough but a little “squeezin’s” from a different p, seasoned filter sponge into each tank will seed each tank well.  Then take it slow (I tend to add any desired non-sensitive snails first (ramshorns, bladders, etc), see how things go, test, and if OK for several days, then start slowly adding fish.

If you have a large enough tank, you could add several nano fish at a time, say as much as 10-12 nanos in a 20 gallon if you’re sure it’s ready.  If in doubt, add half that many and see how things go, testing, testing, testing, if any concerns about filter readiness.

Better to take your time than to lose fish.  Time doesn’t cost you anything, fish loss does, not to mention it’s discouraging to lose fish.

• Like 3