Alternative Med Trio

KentFishFanUK

Following recent help I've received about fish medicines and a potentially sick otocinclus I've been thinking about my own future plans for a med trio. I'm in the UK and it's hard to get hold of the 'good stuff' that you Americans get (can order some on eBay but it's expensive and not sure if it will actually arrive but fingers crossed). 

So in the nearish future when I have my fish room going I will mostly have species tanks - is it ok to use the med trio in a planted tank? I hope to reduce stress on the fish when I first get them by putting them straight into their planted forever homes and as they will be the first fish in the tank I was hoping I don't need a separate quarantine tank for them. Is this possible?

Secondly I think I can get hold of SeaChem Kanaplex and Metroplex, and I can definitely get flubendazole based de wormer - would these work as an alternative Med Trio?

If so how would I use them, just follow the instructions or just do like a single dose of each (not necessarily together) like the Co-op does their med trio? 

Also how would this affect the filter bacteria etc, should I keep the sponge filter out and just run an air stone until the meds are removed with water changes? 

Any experience/input is greatly appreciated! I sort of hope that we come up with some good solutions for myself or any future person googling meds from the UK or EU to stumble across, I know this question comes up occasionally. 

Hope everyone's having a great day!

• Like 1

Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole treats internal parasites Esha gdex active ingredient is praziquantel treats external parasites and  Esha exit treat's ich and Esha 2000 treats fungus and mild external Bacterial  their all shrimp safe Esha 2000 and Esha ndx can be harmful to snails you can use Esha 2000 with Esha exit or Esha gdex at the same time

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, Colu said:

Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole treats internal parasites Esha gdex active ingredient is praziquantel treats external parasites and  Esha exit treat's ich and Esha 2000 treats fungus and mild external Bacterial  their all shrimp safe Esha 2000 can be harmful to snails you can use Esha 2000 with Esha exit or Esha gdex at the same time

All noted, thanks!

On 10/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I believe that would be a good trio. I dose Kanaplex and Metroplex simultaneously in the same food. Just dose them orally vs in the water. I would go for your local ich med and save flubendazole for when you really need it.

Use Seachem Focus to bind to food.

Thanks! I think flubendazole is the main ingredient in most of my locally available de worming meds?

On 10/10/2021 at 8:58 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

In that case, go for it. You could skip Metro then and go with Kanaplex and flubendazole. Do you have access to PraziPro?

Oh right does the flubendazole cover the same stuff as the Metroplex then as well as the worms? If flubendazole does both how comes its not part of the med trio (duo?)?

Hm a quick Google search of PraziPro says it's not available in the UK but then the next result is someone selling it and not even on eBay so maybe I actually can? 

Flubendazole used to treat iinternal and external parasites such as camallanus worms and skin and gill flukes and prazipro has  the same active ingredient as Esha gdex and is used to  treat  gill and skin flukes and some species of tape worms flubendazole is harsher treatment and is not shrimp and snail safe were as levamisole the active in Esha ndx can be used with shrimp in the tank and treats internal parasites such as camallanus worms and round worms I would not use it if you have snails in the tank

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 2:10 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Oh right does the flubendazole cover the same stuff as the Metroplex then as well as the worms? If flubendazole does both how comes its not part of the med trio (duo?)?

Hm a quick Google search of PraziPro says it's not available in the UK but then the next result is someone selling it and not even on eBay so maybe I actually can? 

Probably because Flubendazole is a "big Gun" med. Here is the states, these other medications are readily available and cheap. We you use Flubendazole or Levamisole as a last resort in most cases. 

• Like 1