10ppm Phosphates in my tap water!

WPC417

I’m reentering the hobby after a 30 year absence. Have tank and equipment and about ready to go. (I’ve been watching Aquarium CO-OPs YouTube channel for a couple months.) But testing my tap water I find it “off the chart” for phosphates. I’ve read anything 2 and above is going to result in algae problems. I’m 10 ppm. Any advice? I plan to do a heavily planted tank. Am I going to need a RO setup? If so, can you point me to a how-to video or article? Thanks. [BTW. This is my first post.]

• Like 1

DO you have a well on your property you can draw from.  That's what I do.  If not...your  stuck using what you have and it would be either a water filter (not necessarily R/O)  to remove the phosphate or use a phosphate removing resin.

Maybe somebody else will have a better solution. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

This might be helpful…

For me, I’d just deal with it by letting plants absorb what Phosphate is made available in tap. Every once in a while, dose E.M. Erythromycin lightly to crush incipient Cyanobacteria. 

Nice and easy. Don't borrow trouble.

• Like 1

I was just reading about this because I think I spotted some bba in my puffer tank today. Oh, this algae situation is going to drive me nuts! But one solution I liked would be to add fast growing plants to the tank to absorb nutrients. 

Thank you @Fish Folk for posting that video because I just went down a rabbit hole about phosphates and algae and that video talked me off the proverbial ledge. I'll focus on nitrates and get myself some more plants! 

• Like 1

Like I have said ....everyday I try to learn something new....Its 10:00 am and I have learned something new thanks to @Fish Folk once again. My saltwater years had conditioned me to know Phosphate=Bad , I never even thought to look what their effects were in freshwater. 

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 3:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

This might be helpful…

For me, I’d just deal with it by letting plants absorb what Phosphate is made available in tap. Every once in a while, dose E.M. Erythromycin lightly to crush incipient Cyanobacteria. 

Hi and thank you for sharing! I understand this situation - "let it be", when you got 10 ppm, it's irrelevant. But what to do, when values much higher and not only for phospates. Did anyone used decent under sink water filters(similar to it)? I'm wondering, would it solve the situation or not

Cheers!

Edited by Frank223