Driftwood collection

JoshStover

New River Gorge, WV. 

ive never understood places with laws against driftwood collection. I can see not wanting plants and such collected but driftwood is a bit ridiculous. Come down my way. I’m not exaggerating, there’s about 5 acres that’s totally covered with driftwood at this spot. It floods several times a year and I holds all the driftwood and trash

On 10/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, JoshStover said:

Come visit some time. My backyard is the newest National Park. 

As much as I screw around on here and am a bit of a Smart A$$....but if I came and visited and saw that scenery...you would have a permanent roomate!  

The good news is I would have to build you a bigger fish room though!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:17 AM, JoshStover said:

It’ll be going in the garden or possibly the living room if the wifey will allow. I’d love to mount tons of orchids, bromeliads and mosses to it

Ok I could see that.....we couldn't do that here without sealing the wood first....a lot of bugs here to worry about!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, JoshStover said:

New River Gorge, WV. 

ive never understood places with laws against driftwood collection. I can see not wanting plants and such collected but driftwood is a bit ridiculous. Come down my way. I’m not exaggerating, there’s about 5 acres that’s totally covered with driftwood at this spot. It floods several times a year and I holds all the driftwood and trash

I think it is to discourage people arriving in pick ups and harvesting the place clean rather than frustrating aquascapers otherwise every spaniel owner would be constantly fined. The driftwood does form part of ecosystem so it is vital a certain volume remains to support wildlife. 

I grew up near tidal salt marsh where the driftwood can damage the food defences (constantly bashing the banks on hightides) but again collection is not allowed  due to the marsh being a private nature reserve and they don't want every man with a log burner dragging stuff off and causeing havoc and probably equal damage.  The river authority turn up a few a times a year and cut all the wood up so it will leave again on another tide ( but they do seem to tip my dad off so he can stock up before the tide) . Never considered using it in my aquarium although interesting pieces are rare might start having a rummage next visit.  No idea how long I'd need to boil/soak it for to get it aquarium safe though. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 4:13 AM, JoshStover said:

New River Gorge, WV. 

Yeah online it says their reasoning is it provides homes to fish but it's illegal to even take driftwood that's out of the water too so now my only local option is to pay insane prices for driftwood at my LFS I got 3 pieces in my 75g that cost me over $300 😢 so very jealous of you right now. I'm going to join my local club soon and see if anyone there sells any.

• Like 1